9. The group traveled to Uncle Henrik's house by _________________.
10. The group felt _____________ as they reached Uncle Henrik's house.
11. Which world would be the best antonym for tentatively?
Ellen and Annemarie both smiled tentatively. For a moment their fear was eased.
12. Which excerpt from the story best supports the conclusion that father was quick thinking?
a) Annemarie eased the bedroom door open quietly, only a crack, and peeked out. Behind her, Ellen was sitting up, her eyes wide.
b) It was hours later, but still dark, when she was awakened abruptly by the pounding on the apartment door.
c) Very quickly he search through its pages, found what he was looking for, and tore out three pictures from three separate pages. "You will see each of my daughters, each with her name written on the photograph," Papa said.
d) "We must think what to do," Papa said. "They are suspicious, now. To be honest, I thought that if they came here at all-and I hoped they wouldn't-that they would just glance around, see that we had no place to hide anyone, and would go away."
13. Which question does Chapters 5-6 answer?
a) How does Ellen repair the broken chain on her Star of David necklace?
b) Who lived in the Kronborg Castle?
c) How long were the girls going to stay with Uncle Henrik?
d) When is the Jewish New Year?
14. What is the main conflict in Chapter 5?
a) Nazi soldiers come to the Johansen's home looking for the Rosens.
b) Ellen breaks her Star of David necklace.
c) Lise is killed in an accident.
d) Because of the rationing there was not enough food of the Johansen family.
9. Annemarie thought _______________ when she heard of Great-aunt Birte's death.
a) that everyone would start crying
b) that Mama would be very sad
c) that Great-aunt Birte didn't really exist
d) that Papa should have come to the burial
10. Which statement from Number the Stars contains an opinion?
a) The meadow ended at the sea, and the gray water licked there at damp brown grass flattened by the wind and bordered by smooth heavy stones.
b) The girls sat on a rock and took off their shoes and socks.
c) Annemarie leaned down and picked up a brown leaf that floated back and forth with the movement of the water.
d) Ellen cupped one hand over her eyes and looked across the water at the misty shoreline that was another country. "It's not so very far," she said.
11. Which sequence best describes the order of event in Chapter 8?
1) When Henrik comes home, Annemarie hears him tell her mother that the next day "will be a day for fishing."
2) The girls spend the day playing outside.
3) Early in the morning, Annemarie wakes up to the sounds of her sister and her mother in the kitchen.
4) Uncle Henrik announces that their Great-aunt Birte has passed away.
a) 3, 1, 2, 4
b) 3, 2, 1, 4
c) 4, 2, 3, 1
d) 4, 2, 1, 3
12. Which statement from Number the Stars contains a cause-effect relationship?
a) Mama and Kirsti had gone inside, but Annemarie and Ellen ran across the high-grassed meadow, through the late wildflowers.
b) Across the hall, Kirsti was already asleep in the wide bed that had once belonged to Annemarie's grandparents.
c) From downstairs, they could hear Mama's voice, and Uncle Henrik's, talking, catching up on news.
d) Because Mama came to Gilleleje to live with Henrik, he didn't have to do all the chores by himself.