Head lice are small insects that live on the scalp and neck hairs of people. They are parasites and need human blood and warmth to survive. They are about the size of a sesame seed. They do not fly or hop, but crawl quickly and spread quickly.
Head lice bit the scalp and cause itching. The infected person may feel movement or tickling in their hair and will scratch the itchy scalp. One louse can lay 100 nits (eggs) that hatch in 7-10 days. It takes a baby louse 7-10 days to grow into an adult and the cycle can repeat.
Wash your bedding, clothes, bows, hats and any items/linens that you’ve had close contact with in hot water and detergent. Vacuum your mattress, carpets, rugs and couches and spray with a disinfecting spray designed for this parasite or bed bugs.
Wash your hair with a chemical shampoo as RID and repeat shampoo in one week
Use a special fine-tooth comb (included with the lice chemical shampoos) after the chemical wash to pick out nits and dead bugs
Coat the hair with a moisturizer or oily substance as Cetaphil face cream or coconut oil and let it soak into the hair for 8 hours (overnight). Rinse and shampoo the hair out the next day and repeat combing. You may repeat this step every few days, as needed.
Tea-tree oil drops can be found at some grocery stores and nutrition shops. You can place a few drops in your daily shampoo and use to help eliminate adult lice. There are also non-toxic shampoos designed for daily use for those that have lice infestation.
You may need a prescription shampoo if you are still dealing with lice for more than a week. It’s important evaluate the hair every 1-2 days and comb with the fine-tooth comb. The nits can survive treatments and hatch into bugs that continue spreading.
Remember, never use toxic substances as gasoline or paint thinner, because these can be flammable and toxic to your system