1: Language and stories can be a source of creativity and joy.
2: God’s Word helps us learn about ourselves and our families.
3: Stories can be told through pictures and words.
4: Everyone can be a reader
and can create stories.
5: God’s Word is the Ultimate Love Story.
Everyone has a unique story.
6: Playing with language helps us discover how language works.
7: Listening and speaking builds our understanding and helps us learn.
Language Arts Curricular Competencies
Comprehend and connect (reading, listening, viewing)
• Use sources of information and prior knowledge to make meaning
• Use developmentally appropriate reading, listening, and viewing strategies to make meaning
• Explore foundational concepts of print, oral, and visual texts
• Engage actively as listeners, viewers, and readers, as appropriate, to develop understanding of self, identity, and community
• Recognize the importance of story in personal, family, and community identity
• Use personal experience and knowledge to connect to stories and other texts to make meaning
• Recognize the structure of story
Create and communicate (writing, speaking, representing)
• Exchange ideas and perspectives to build shared understanding
• Use language to identify, create, and share ideas, feelings, opinions, and preferences
• Create stories and other texts to deepen awareness of self, family, and community
• Plan and create stories and other texts for different purposes and audiences