1. Folk Tales are exaggerated stories.
2. Folk Figure/Hero is the person the story is about.
3. Folk Figures are important because their stories provide entertainment and courage. They did not give up – worked hard.
4. Johnny Appleseed: planted apple orchards for pioneers. Was a real person named John Chapman.
5. Davy Crockett: wore coonskin cap, had gun name “old Betsy”, died in a war, was real person
6. John Henry: worked for railroad, beat a steam drill by working hard to be faster than machine, born with a hammer in his hand.
7. Pecos Bill: cowboy, raised by coyotes, roped a tornado, had a girlfriend named Sue Foot Slew.