When I'm at work: stopping abuse Powerpoint presentation January 2015 What are your human rights?

Download 23.62 Kb.
Size23.62 Kb.
When I'm at work: stopping abuse - Powerpoint presentation

January 2015

What are your human rights?

  • Live without fear.

  • Feel safe where you live.

  • Enjoy the same rights as other people do.

  • Make your own decisions about things.

  • Get help and a fair go if you are in trouble.

  • Work where and when you choose.

What is abuse?

…when another person harms or hurts you in some way …

Physical abuse

Physical abuse is when someone hurts you by touching you, for example, by:

  • punching you

  • hitting you

  • slapping you

  • burning you.

Emotional abuse

Emotional abuse is when someone hurts your feelings or makes you upset. It can include:

  • calling you names

  • telling you things to make you frightened.

Sexual abuse

Sexual abuse includes being:

  • touched on your private parts when you have not said it is okay

  • forced to have sex when you do not want to.

Chemical abuse

Chemical abuse includes being forced to take medication (tablets or injections), or illegal drugs, when you do not want to.

Financial abuse

Examples of financial abuse include other people taking your:

  • money

  • personal things and using them without asking you first.

Verbal abuse

Verbal abuse includes someone saying things about you that are not true.

It could also be someone saying nasty things about what you say or do.

Civil or legal abuse

Civil or legal abuse includes not being allowed to:

  • use your rights as a citizen, for example, not being allowed to vote (if you are an adult citizen of Australia)

  • speak for yourself, or to choose who will speak for you if you have to go to court.

Abuse in the workplace

You could be abused by:

  • your co-workers

  • supervisors

  • support staff

  • managers

  • anyone else at work.

Workplace abuse can be:

  • physical

  • financial

  • verbal

  • sexual

  • chemical

  • emotional.

What can you do about abuse?

  • Tell someone who you trust.

  • This is called reporting the abuse.

Reporting abuse outside work

Tell a family member, support worker, friend, member of your church, or the police.

Remember to tell:

  • what is happening

  • why you think you are being abused

  • when it is happening

  • who is abusing you.

What can you expect to happen?

When you report abuse, people you tell should:

  • listen to you

  • do something quickly

  • tell you what they will do to help you, and how long it will take

  • let you know about what's happening with your complaint.

What if nothing changes?

If you tell someone but they do not do anything about it, do not give up.

Tell someone else.

Reporting abuse at work

Your workplace must protect you from abuse.

The National Standards for Disability Services make that clear.

Standard 1: Rights

Standard 1 is about the protection of human rights.

When you are at work, your workplace must:

Nobody should:

  • hurt you

  • talk to you in a way that you do not like

  • treat you badly because of your disability.

Your workplace's complaints policy

  • Tells you how to make a formal complaint.

  • Your supervisor can help you with this.

  • It is your right to use the complaints policy if you need to.

Other ways to make a complaint

Sometimes, the people you rely on for help can also be the people who abuse you.

Your workplace can give you details about how to contact an advocacy or complaints service.

People there can help you as well.

Remember your human rights!

It is really important to remember that abuse harms you in all sorts of ways, not just physically.

If someone who should be looking after you is not doing so, they are taking away your human rights and you should tell someone it is happening.

Who can help you stop the abuse?

If you are in danger, call the police on 000.

The fact sheet about stopping abuse has further contact details.

National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline

People at the Hotline can help you. They can also find someone else to talk about your problem for you.

1800 880 052

The fact sheet about stopping abuse has full contact details.

Complaints Referral and Resolution Service (CRRS)

People at the CRRS can help you. What you tell them is confidential.

They will not tell anyone else what you say.

The fact sheet about stopping abuse has full contact details.

1800 880 052

Share with your friends:

The database is protected by copyright ©dentisty.org 2019
send message

    Main page