Nasal septum divides the nose into 2 nasal cavities , right and left.
for smell , its narrow and curved
formed from 4 bones and cartilage
* it’s parts are arranged in the slides from Ant. to Post. As septal cartilage , nasal bone , frontal bone , cribriform plate which is part of ethmoid bone , and body of sphenoid .
formed by 2 bones , one from palatine and the other from maxilla.
-in the ant. 2/3 of the hard palate we can find incisive foramen that transmits:
1) Nasopalatine nerve a branch from maxillary N . “ mn el nose lal palate “
2)greater palatine A. a branch from maxillary A. “ mn el palate lal nose “
3)greater palatine Vein.
- Branches of Maxillaries ; one dives down “ mn el nose lal palate “ and one flies up “ mn el palate lal nose “
- Medial wall “ nasal septum “ :
Commonly deviated to the right side causing Snoring .
-Lateral wall “ the most important one “ :
has 3 elevations and 4 spaces ..
* The spaces are the sites where nasal sinuses drain their contents :
-Sphenoethmoidal recess for sphenoid sinus.
-Superior meatus for posterior ethmoidal .
-under the middle concha we have :
1) bulla ethmoidalis which is a large mass for the middle ethmoidal drainage.
2) heatus similunaris , at the ant. part of it we can see the infundibulum that is a drainage for frontal and anterior ethmoidal sinuses.
the floor of hiatus for maxillary sinus , it cant spill its contents while standing so u should advice the patient to sleep on the opposite side as it can ejaculate its contents.
- inf. Concha for nasolacrimal opening that’s located at the end of the nasolacrimal duct.
“ please check the figure , slide #9 page 5 , topic “ covered features of lat. Wall “ for better understanding ^_^ “
- Nasal cavities :
3 regions , every region covered by special type of epithelium ..
Nasal vestibule located Ant.
Respiratory region the Largest , red in color because its rich in blood , If we noticed a change in the color it may be due to the job of the person , if he works in a lab that’s full of fumes or something ..
Olfactory region yellow in color because its poor in blood , it should be moist to function.
If the colors changed, the person may lose the ability to smell.
Arterial supply of the nasal cavity :
1)ECA Maxillary artery “ when enters the pterygopalatine fossa “ Sphenopalatine A. “ MAIN ARTERIAL SUPPLY OF THE NOSE “
2) ECA Max. A greater palatine A.
3) ECA Facial A. sup. Labial A.
4) ICA ophthalmic A Ant. ethmoidal A.
5) ICA ophthalmic A post. ethmoidal A.
Major site of epistaxis " الرعاف " , because its anastomosis between all the Arteries that mentioned above in the arterial supply EXCEPT “ POST. ETHMOIDAL ARTERY “
* to stop epistaxis we compress little’s area.
-Venous drainage :
same names reverse directions.
Pay attention to where every region drains its content ..
Innervation of nasal cavity :
the doctor said that its complicated but we need to know that olfactory nerve “ first cranial nerve “ responsible for smell
and for General sensation “ pain and temperature “ ophthalmic and maxillary nerves that are branches of trigeminal N. “
* Note : where ever we have the word septum , it refers to the medial wall of the nose.
done by : ala'a basher