2. When considering the pattern of SENSORY innervation of the tongue, the 1st and the 3rd branchial arch are involved in the development of the tongue:
3. The muscles of the limbs are derived from:
A. Neural crest mesenchyme
B. Splanchnopleuric mesoderm
C. Intermediate plate mesoderm
D. Paraxial mesoderm*
E. Somatopleuric mesoderm
4. Which of the following papillae contain taste buds:
A. 1, 2 and 4
B. 1, 2 and 3
C. 1, 3 and 4
D. 2, 3 and 4*
5. Abnormalities of the Thymus indicate abnormal development of which of the following pharyngeal pouches?
A. 1st only
B. 1st and 2nd
C. 2nd and 3rd
D. 3rd only*
E. 3rd and 4th
6. Mucoperiosteum refers to tissue in which the lamina propria is directly attached to the periosteum that covers the bone:
7. Which of the following statements concerning the otic vesicle is correct?
A. It develops from the ectoderm*
B. It is found adjacent to the forebrain
C. It gives rise to the auditory meatus
D. It gives rise to the tympanic membrane
8. The following statements are true about the tongue EXCEPT:
A. Muscles of the tongue develop from the 3rd branchial arch*
B. Beginning at the 7th week of development, the tongue withdraws to a lower position to facilitate proper formation of the secondary palate
C. The thyroid gland develops initially at the foramen cecum area of the tobgue
D. Tuberculum impar and lateral lingual swellings are involved in its development
E. The pharyngeal part of the tongue develops from the hypobranchial eminence
9. Which statement best describes the development of the neural tube?
A. it develops directly from the primitive streak.
B. it develops directly from the notochord.
C. it develops from the ectoderm immediately dorsal to the primitive streak.
D. none of the above.*
10. From which of the following is the periodontal ligament derived:
Epithelial root sheath
Outer enamel epithelium
11. The chorionic membrane consists of:
A. epiblast, cytotrophoblast, and syncytiotrophoblast
B. hypoblast, cytotrophoblast, and syncytiotrophoblast
D. Heuser’s membrane, extraembryonic mesoderm, and cytotrophoblast
12. Which of the following statements concerning the tympanic cavity is correct?
A. It arises from the otic vesicle
B. It is of endodermal origin*
C. It contains the spiral organ of Corti
D. It contains perilymph
13. What is the usual sequence of events in the histogenesis of a tooth?
(1) Deposition of the first layer of dentin
(2) Deposition of the first layer of enamel
(3) Differentiation of odontoblasts
(4) Elongation of inner dental epithelium
A. (2), (1), (3), (4)
B. (3), (4), (1), (2)
C. (4), (3), (1), (2)*
D. (4), (2), (3), (1)
E. (1), (2), (3), (4)
14. Which of the answers below correctly describe the number of cervical sclerotomes, vertebrae, and spinal nerves, respectively?
A. 8, 8, and 8
B. 8, 7, and 8*
C. 8, 8, and 7
D. 7, 8, and 7
15. The femur bone develops from which of the following?
A. somite mesoderm
B. somatopleuric mesoderm*
C. intermediate mesoderm
D. splanchnopleuric mesoderm
16. The influence of the epithelial and ectomesenchymal elements of the odontogenic apparatus and their products on each other in the formation of the parts of the tooth is described as:
17. Each of the following develops as an outpocketing of the gut tube EXCEPT one. Which one is the EXCEPTION?
18. Which process establishes the 3 definitive germ layers?
C. Craniocaudal folding
D. Lateral folding
19. Please refer to the sketch below in which is illustrated the head and neck region of a human embryo. The facial process labeled B gives rise to which of the following? For orientation the structure labeled C gives rise to the hyoid bone.
A. Secondary palate and nasal septum
B. Mandible and lower lip*
C. Maxilla and middle portion of the upper lip
D. Secondary palate and lateral portion of upper lip
26. Abnormalities of the inferior parathyroid glands indicate abnormal development of which of the following pharyngeal pouches?
D. 4th 27. Which of the following statements concerning the cochlear duct is correct
A. It arises from pharyngeal arch 4
B. It is of ectodermal origin*
C. It contains the stapes
D. It is an air filled cavity
28. The following statements are true about Meckel’s cartilage EXCEPT:
Completely converts to form the mandible by endochondral ossification*
It is the cartilage of the first branchial arch
The malleus and incus develop from the dorsal aspect of this cartilage
Is innervated by trigeminal nerve
Is in close relationship with the developing mandible but does not contribute to it
29. Pharyngeal cleft 2 gives rise to the
A. Internal auditory meatus
B. External auditory meatus
C. Eustatchian tube
D. Primary tympanic cavity
E. None of the above*
30. The following are true about junctional epithelium EXCEPT:
A. Attached to the tooth surface cervical to the gingival sulcus and continuous with the sulcular epithelium
C. Readily regenerates from the sulcular epithelium if it is damaged
D. Comprised of orthokeratinized stratified squamous epithelium*
E. Derived from reduced enamel epithelium
31. The surface ectoderm gives rise to the
A. dilator pupillae muscle
32. The proepicardium originates within the
A. somatopleuric mesoderm
B. cardiac neural crest
C. Splanchnopleuric mesoderm*
D. None of the above
33. Your first patient presents with a chief complaint of pale yellow spots in the buccal mucosa near the angle of the mouth. You suspect these to be ectopic sebaceous glands. What condition does the patient have?
A. Von Ebners’s disease
B. Fordyce’s disease*
C. Circumvallate papillae
D. Mucous cells
E. None of the above
34. What pharyngeal arch gives rise to muscles that are innervated by the facial cranial nerve (VII)?
A. Pharyngeal arch 1
B. Pharyngeal arch 2*
C. Pharyngeal arch 3
D. Pharyngeal arch 4
E. Pharyngeal arch 6
35. What are the four layers in order from the oral cavity to internal, of the masticatory mucosa?