§ 54.1-2712.1. Restricted volunteer license for certain dentists.
A. The Board may issue a restricted volunteer license to a dentist who:
1. Held an unrestricted license in Virginia or another state as a licensee in good standing at the time the license expired or became inactive;
2. Is volunteering for a public health or community free clinic that provides dental services to populations of underserved people;
3. Has fulfilled the Board's requirement related to knowledge of the laws and regulations governing the practice of dentistry in Virginia;
4. Has not failed a clinical examination within the past five years; and
5. Has had at least five years of clinical practice.
B. A person holding a restricted volunteer license under this section shall:
1. Only practice in public health or community free clinics that provide dental services to underserved populations;
2. Only treat patients who have been screened by the approved clinic and are eligible for treatment;
3. Attest on a form provided by the Board that he will not receive remuneration directly or indirectly for providing dental services; and
4. Not be required to complete continuing education in order to renew such a license.
C. If a dentist with a restricted volunteer license issued under this section has not held an active, unrestricted license and been engaged in active practice within the past five years, he shall only practice dentistry and perform dental procedures if a dentist with an unrestricted Virginia license, volunteering at the clinic, reviews the quality of care rendered by the dentist with the restricted volunteer license at least every 30 days.
D. A restricted voluntary license granted pursuant to this section shall expire on the June 30 of the second year after its issuance, or shall terminate when the supervising dentist withdraws his sponsorship. Such license may be renewed annually in accordance with regulations promulgated by the Board.
E. A dentist holding a restricted volunteer license issued pursuant to this section is subject to the provisions of this chapter, the regulations promulgated under this chapter, and the disciplinary regulations which apply to all dentists practicing in Virginia.
(1997, c. 719; 1998, c. 326; 2005, cc. 505, 587.)
A. Upon payment of the prescribed fee and provided that no grounds exist to deny licensure pursuant to § 54.1-2706, the Board may grant, without examination, a faculty license to teach dentistry in a dental program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association to any applicant who meets one of the following qualifications:
1. Is a graduate of a dental school or college or the dental department of a college or university, has a current unrestricted license to practice dentistry in at least one other United States jurisdiction, and has never been licensed to practice dentistry in the Commonwealth; or
2. Is a graduate of a dental school or college or the dental department of a college or university, has completed an advanced dental education program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, and has never been licensed to practice dentistry in the Commonwealth.
B. The dean or program director of the accredited dental program shall provide to the Board verification that the applicant is being hired by the program and shall include an assessment of the applicant's clinical competency and clinical experience that qualifies the applicant for a faculty license.
C. The holder of a license issued pursuant to this section shall be entitled to perform all activities that a person licensed to practice dentistry would be entitled to perform and that are part of his faculty duties, including all patient care activities associated with teaching, research, and the delivery of patient care, which take place only within educational facilities owned or operated by or affiliated with the dental school or program. A licensee who is qualified based on educational requirements for a specialty board certification shall only practice in the specialty for which he is qualified. A license issued pursuant to this section shall not authorize the holder to practice dentistry in nonaffiliated clinics or in private practice settings.
D. Any license issued under this section shall expire on June 30 of the second year after its issuance or shall terminate when the licensee leaves employment at the accredited dental program. Such license may be renewed annually thereafter as long as the accredited program certifies to the licensee's continuing employment.
(1975, c. 479, § 54-175.1; 1976, c. 327; 1988, c. 765; 2005, cc. 505, 587; 2012, cc. 20, 116.)
§ 54.1-2714. Restricted licenses to teach dentistry for foreign dentists.
A. The Board may grant, without examination, a restricted license for a temporary appointment to teach dentistry at a dental school in this Commonwealth to any person who:
1. Is a resident of a foreign country;
2. Is licensed to practice dentistry in a foreign country;
3. Holds a faculty appointment in a dental school in a foreign country;
4. Is a graduate of a foreign dental school or college or the dental department of a foreign college or university;
5. Is not licensed to practice dentistry in Virginia;
6. Has not failed an examination for a license to practice dentistry in this Commonwealth;
7. Has received a temporary appointment to the faculty of a dental school in this Commonwealth to teach dentistry;
8. Is, in the opinion of the Board, qualified to teach dentistry; and
9. Submits a completed application, the supporting documents the Board deems necessary to determine his qualifications, and the prescribed fee.
B. A restricted license shall entitle the licensee to perform all operations which a person licensed to practice dentistry may perform but only for the purpose of teaching. No person granted a restricted license shall practice dentistry intramurally or privately or receive fees for his services.
C. A restricted license granted pursuant to this section shall expire 24 months from the date of issuance and may not be renewed or reissued.
(1977, c. 349, § 54-175.2; 1988, c. 765; 2012, cc. 20, 116.)