Students will use the internet safely and ethically to research 5 famous bridges and their design.
Students will understand which geometric shapes are the strongest.
Several students will effectively learn and use excel software to budget and track their funding for the build project
Students will work collaboratively in groups of four to develop a blueprint design then present their design as a group to the class
Each group will delegate a specific role to each individual team member for the building process.
1. Divide the class into groups of four
2. Give 5 minutes for them do assign roles (account manager, research manager, design artist, supply manager)
3. Give 10 minutes for them to review contest rules, list of materials, price sheet
4. Allow the “research manager” to sign into a computer and then for the remainder of the period they may research and write a brief description of 5 famous bridges and their design type (ie. Suspension) The research manager will type up a very brief reports and print it out for later reference
5. Day 2: Separate into groups and the “design artist” will begin drawing the design using an actual toothpick for scale
Bucket, weights (40 D-cell batteries work well), and string to hold the bucket.
1. No materials may be used as part of the bridge except the toothpicks and wood glue provided.
2. Toothpicks may not be broken. Imperfect toothpicks may be traded in for new ones.
3. The bridge may not touch the ground at any point outside the “Leg” squares.
4. The matchbox car must fit inside the bridge (it does not actually need to drive across), and the boat must be able to slide underneath the center. OR The bridge legs must be at least 3cm wide, and the bottom of the bridge arch must stand at least 5cm off the ground.
5. The bridge must be free standing or it will be broken on its side.
6. All bridges will be broken by being set across two tables 15cm apart and having a string tied around the middle that is connected to a bucket which will be filled slowly with weights. The bridge that is able to hold the most weight before breaking wins the contest.