14. Where is bile produced and stored? What is the function of bile?
Bile (produced by the liver, stored in the gallbladder) also enters the duodenum through the bile duct
15. What are the 3 structures that increase the absorptive surface of the small intestine?
Microvilli: tiny projections of the plasma membrane of the mucosa cell, sometimes it is referred to as the brush border
Villi: fingerlike projection of the mucosa
Circular folds: deep folds of both mucosa and submucosa layers
16. What are the 2 structures inside the villi?
Within each villus is a rich capillary bed and a modified lymphatic capillary called a lacteal
The digested food are absorbed through the mucosa cells into both the capillary and the lacteal
17. What is the major function of the large intestine?
Its major functions are to dry out the indigestible food residue by absorbing water and eliminate these residues from the body as feces
18. What are the subdivisions of the large intestine?
19. The anal canal has an external _____________________(voluntary/involuntary) sphincter formed by __________________(skeletal/smooth) muscle and internal _____________________ _____________________(voluntary/involuntary) sphincter formed by __________________(skeletal/smooth) muscle.
The anal canal has an external voluntary sphincter formed by skeletal muscle and internal involuntary sphincter formed by smooth muscle
20. What are the pocket like sacs on the large intestine called?
The pocket like sacs on the large intestine are called haustra