(Bring Sword, Chapeau, Ritual and Tactics) Tactics page and paragraph are in parentheses. Revised June 27, 2010
Things all Sir Knights should be aware of:
1. Always give proper salutations upon entering or retiring from an Asylum. (demonstrate) (9/18).
2, Commander is "Eminent Commander" not "Eminent. (8/16)
3. Always say "Sir Knight” as first part of title. (8/13)
4. When uncovering, uncover at the word "cover" not "un" as I have seen. (45/98&99)
5. Always call on Senior Officer prior to saluting (with hand or sword). (10 /20a.)
6. When communicating only salute at the beginning and end. (9/17)
7. Knocks at door are the same sequence as Lodge. During the opening the Warder knocks after closing the door. During open Conclave he knocks both before opening the door and after closing the door. During the closing he knocks before opening the door.
8. Speak loud and clear as possible (we are getting older and want to hear your good work).
9. Remember the visiting Sir Knights. Make them welcome like you would in your own home.
10. Never, I repeat, never talk or whisper when the Orders or the Full Form Opening are in progress
(very disrespectful to the participants). Give them the attention they deserve for their hard work.
11. The Officer advancing to another station is asked to make sure the Sir Knight replacing him is
instructed to his duties and is proficient in the Ritual. The incoming Commander has plenty to do.
and quickly. Knightly courtesy is of utmost importance in our organization.
4. Senior Warden / Junior Warden, place sword in the Commanders hand so Sir Knight giving sword
lecture can hand it to new Sir Knight properly.
5. Senior Warden / Junior Warden, when in charge you will use a sword salute. (10/20 & 11/25)
6. Junior Warden goes directly to the center of the Asylum from door when returning with questions.
(7/6 & 12/31)
7. Junior Warden, “Countermarch, right and left by file” (when leaving Prelate's obligation scene). Sir Knights move directly to the front and execute facing movements with Sir Knight directly across from him. (87/421)
20. Standard Guard uses 90 degree wheel turns or column half left and column half right when posting and retiring the United States Flag. NO oblique movements. See pages 81 and 101 for proper posting and retiring of the United States Flag. Practice posting and retiring the Flag. It is very important we do this properly.
21. Standard Guard orders swords during the sword manual in the Full Form Opening.
22. Standard Guard dips Beauceant during Full Form Opening, but not United States Flag.
23. Retire the United States Flag when going to recess prior to Full form Opening. (100 & 101)
24. Cups are removed from triangle during 5th Libation. (97/Plate #28)
25. Placement of cross, square and compasses and swords on Bible. Bible opened to Matthew 28.
26. Sir Knights remain at Hand Salute during Pledge of Allegiance. Changed by S.K. William H. Koon, II.
What I have presented is just a small portion of the valuable information contained in the Ritual and Tactics. Please obtained a copy of each and study them thoroughly. It will make you a more informed Sir Knight.
Does anyone have any items to add, or questions on what has been presented? Remember this is a working
document and we will add and subtract to it as needed.