Healthy lens Occurrence of feathering on the lens igure 1. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) micrographs of the normal, dry, Figure 2. Posterior lens surface under magnification.10 and humidified air exposed corneal endothelial cells.8
(A) Normal rabbit corneal endothelial cells displaying a uniform hexagonal appearance with regular interdigitated cell borders and distinct microvilli on the cell surface. Note that the cell junctions are always flat and do not protrude above the cell surface (scale bar, 15 μm). (B) 20 minute humidified air-exposed endothelial cells with relatively irregular and less interdigitated more ruffled cell borders. Some pitting is visible on cellular borders. (C) 20 minute dry air-exposed endothelial cells showing more stressed appearance. Cells were accompanied by pronounced apical flaps. The cell borders show lifting off the surface. Note the open clefts between the cells together with extensive pitting on the cellular surface.8
Bibliography 1. Welch JC. Dehydration injury as a possible cause of visual field defect after pars plana vitrectomy for macular hole. Am J Ophthalmol 1997;124(5):698-9.
2. Ohji M, Nao IN, Saito Y, Hayashi A, Tano Y. Prevention of visual field defect after macular hole surgery by passing air used for fluid-air exchange through water. Am J Ophthalmol 1999;127(1):62-6.
3. Welch JC. Letter to the Editor: Prevention of visual field defect after macular hole surgery by passing air used for fluid-air exchange through water. Am J Ophthalmol 1999;128(3):396-7.
4. Ohji M, Okada AA, Tano Y. Author Reply: Prevention of visual field defect after macular hole surgery by passing air used for fluid-air exchange through water. Am J Ophthalmol 1999;128(3):397.
5. Vote BJ, Russell MK, Newland A, Polkinghorne PJ. The evaluation of a humidifying device for vitreoretinal surgery. Br J Ophthalmol 2004;88(12):1582-4.
6. Eter N, Brinken R, Garbe S, Spitznas M. Intraocular humidity immediately after fluid-air exchange in pars plana vitrectomy. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2006;244(3):305-8.
7. Cekic O, Ohji M, Zheng Y, Hayashi A, Kusaka S, Tano Y. Experimental study of viscoelastic in the prevention of corneal endothelial desiccation injury from vitreal fluid-air exchange. Am J Ophthalmol 2003;135(5):641-7.
8. Cekic O, Ohji M, Hayashi A, Fang XY, Kusaka S, Tano Y. Effects of humidified and dry air on corneal endothelial cells during vitreal fluid-air exchange. Am J Ophthalmol 2002;134(1):75-80.
9. Cekic O, Ohji M, Hayashi A, Fang XY, Kusaka S, Tano Y. Humidified air effect on pupil size during fluid-air exchange. Retina 2001;21(5):529-31.
10. Harlan JB, Jr., Lee ET, Jensen PS, de Juan E, Jr. Effect of humidity on posterior lens opacification during fluid-air exchange. Arch Ophthalmol 1999;117(6):802-4.
11. Vote BJ, Newland A, Polkinghorne PJ. Humidity devices in vitreoretinal surgery. Retina 2002;22(5):616-21.