Dosage: a measured quantity administered at any one time or at stated intervals. A statement about dose or dosage would be considered a therapeutic claim and is therefore not permitted on foods. However, a manufacturer is allowed to state the amount of a component in a serving of the food together with the amount required to beconsumed daily to achieve the desired effect. Specified serving sizes should reflect a realistic amount of the food that a person might normally consume. (eg. a serve contains Xg of the component. Consume Y serves per day, which as part of the appropriate total diet provides the claimed benefit).
Eligibility criteria: before a food is permitted to carry a claim, all stipulated eligibility criteria for that food must be met. Eligibility criteria can include qualifying and disqualifying criteria, such as the requirement for the presence and/or absence of components in the food or entire food categories.
Endorsement program: in the commercial sense – an advertising testimonial: an instance of public endorsement of a product for advertising purposes.
Nutrition, health and related claims: include all claims referring to nutrient content, nutrient function, enhanced function, reduction of disease risk or maintenance of normal health.
Serious disease or condition: forms of diseases, conditions, ailments or defects which are generally accepted to be beyond the ability of the average consumer to evaluate accurately and to treat safely without regular supervision by a suitably qualified health care professional.
Socially responsible: meets ethical and moral standards and does not abuse the trust or exploit the lack of knowledge of the general public or contain language which could bring about fear or distress.
Therapeutic claim: a claim outside the context of the total diet that a specific food or food component will prevent, diagnose, cure or alleviate a disease, ailment, defect or injury; or influence, inhibit or modify a physiological process. Therapeutic claims on foods are not permitted under the Nutrition, Health and Related Claims framework, except where expressly permitted in the Food Standards Code. Therapeutic claims may only be made for goods which are regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration. A statement about dosage is an implied therapeutic claim and is therefore not permitted on foods.
Whole of diet claims: claims which communicate the appropriate total diet required to achieve the stated benefit.
Within the scope of Proposal P234 – Nutrient Content and Other Related Claims, the terms of reference for the external advisory team are to:
1. Consider and provide feedback on submissions/comments received in relation to stakeholder consultations.
2. Advise on the possible regulatory options and the specific criteria for nutrient content and other related claims.
3. Provide advice on the costs and benefits of possible regulatory options and the specific criteria for nutrient content and other related claims.
Membership of the EAG
Ms Brenda Cutress, New Zealand Grocery Marketers Association;
Mr Tony Downer, Australian Food and Grocery Council;
Ms Michele Flint, Department of Health and Ageing;
Ms Rebecca Smith, Australian Consumers Association;
Dr Rosemary Stanton, Nutrition Expert; and
Dr Peter Williams, University of Wollongong
LIST OF SUBMITTERS
A Draft Assessment Report for the review of Criteria and Conditions for Making Nutrition Content and Other Related Claims, Proposal P234, was released in March 2002 to commence the second round of public consultation. The following is a list of submitters who provided a written response:
2. Australian Dairy Corporation (ADC) & Australian Dairy Products Federation (ADPF)
3. Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC)
4. Australian Olive Oil Association Inc. (AOOA)
5. Australasian Soft Drink Association Ltd (ASDA)
6. BRI Australia Limited/ Go Grains Advisory Committee
7. Clover Corporation Ltd (Clover)
8. Coles Myer Limited (Coles)
9. Dairy Farmers
10. Evans Confectionary
11. Food and Beverage Importers Association (FBIA)
12. Food Liaison
13. Food Sense
14. Food Technology Association of Victoria Inc (FTA Vic)
15. Food Technology Association of Western Australian Inc (FTAWA)