4. Students adjust their use of spoken, written, and visual language (e.g., conventions, style, vocabulary) to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and for different purposes.
Competency Goal 6: The learner will apply conventions of grammar and language usage.
6.01:(6th grade) Demonstrate an understanding of conventional written and spoken expression by:
Demonstrating the different roles of the parts of speech in sentence construction.
Script:Say: Who can tell me the parts of speech? (noun, verb, adjective, adverb, pronoun) Today we are going to talk about adjectives. What do adjectives do? (describe a noun; tell how many, what kind)
Pass out lists of adjectives, sensory words. As you pass out the papers, have a student or students pick out some favorite or interesting words. Pass out worksheet. Place overhead on projector.
Read directions on worksheet. Go over example and #1. Call on students to complete 2-5; several students may do the same one depending on answers. Have students complete worksheet on their own.
Example: a great day a warm, sunny vacation day
1. the pretty leaves the _______________________ leaves
2. a neat outfit _____________________________ outfit
3. an interesting movie ______________________________ movie
4. a nice basket ______________________________ basket
5. a cool teacher ______________________________teacher
Add specific adjectives to each of the following sentences. 6. I sit on the _____________ porch and watch the _______________________
7. I held on to the ________________________________________ rope.
8. He sat in ______________ office for two _______________________ hours.
9. The __________________ dog bit the _______________________man.
10. My ________________ brother drives a _______________________ car.
11. In the summer _____________ people flock to the _______________
beaches to relax under the ________________ sun and the ________________
12. The ________________ stranger __________________________________
stood in the middle of the _____________________ street and raised his arms.