66. Ramos-Gomez FJ, Crall J, Gansky SA, Rebecca L. Slayton RL, Featherstone JDB. Caries risk assessment appropriate for the age 1 visit (infants and toddlers). J Calif Dent Assoc. 2007 Oct; 35(10):687-702. Available from:http://www.cdafoundation.org/who_we_are/publications.
67. American Dental Association [Internet]. Tooth decay & dental caries. Available from: http://www.ada.org/5157.aspx?currentTab=2. Accessed 2010 Feb 28.
68. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [Internet]. National public health performance standards program: 10 essential public health services. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/od/ocphp/nphpsp/EssentialPHServices.htm. Accessed 2010 Feb 28.
69. Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors [Internet]. Assessing oral health needs: ASTDD seven-step model. 2003. Available from: http://www.astdd.org/index.php?template=seven_steps.html. Accessed 2010 Feb 28.
70. García-Godoy F, Hicks MJ. Maintaining the integrity of the enamel surface: the role of dental biofilm, saliva and preventive agents in enamel demineralization and remineralization. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008 May; 139 Suppl:25S-34S.
72. Du MQ, Tai BJ, Jiang H, Lo ECM, Fan MW, Bian Z. A two-year randomized clinical trial of chlorhexidine varnish on dental caries in Chinese preschool children. J Dent Res. 2006 Jun; 85(6): 557-9. Available from: http://jdr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/85/6/557.pdf.
73. Milgrom P, Ly KA, Tut OK, Mancl L, Roberts MC, Briand K, Gancio MJ. Xylitol pediatric topical oral syrup to prevent dental caries: a double-blind randomized clinical trial of efficacy. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009 Jul;163(7):601-7.
74. Ly KA, Riedy CA, Milgrom P, Rothen M, Roberts MC, Zhou L. Xylitol gummy bear snacks: a school-based randomized clinical trial. BMC Oral Health. 2008 Jul 25;8:20.
75. Berkowitz RJ, Koo H, McDermott MP, Whelehan MT, Ragusa P, Kopycka-Kedzierawski DT, Karp JM, Billings R. Adjunctive chemotherapeutic suppression of mutans streptococci in the setting of severe early childhood caries: an exploratory study. J Public Health Dent. 2009 Summer;69(3):163-7.
76. Lopez L, Berkowitz R, Spiekerman C, Weinstein P. Topical antimicrobial therapy in the prevention of early childhood caries: a follow-up report. Pediatr Dent. 2002 May-Jun;24(3):204-6.
77. Rosenblatt A, Stamford TC, Niederman R. Silver diamine fluoride: a caries "silver-fluoride bullet". J Dent Res. 2009 Feb;88(2):116-25.
78. Yee R, Holmgren C, Mulder J, Lama D, Walker D, van Palenstein Helderman W. Efficacy of silver diamine fluoride for arresting caries treatment. J Dent Res. 2009 Jul;88(7):644-7
79. Kenney GM, McFeeters JR, Yee JY. Preventive dental care and unmet dental needs among low-income children. Am J Public Health. 2005 Aug; 95(8): 1360-6.
80. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Council on Clinical Affairs. Policy on the dental home. Pediatr Dent 2008-2009; 30(7 Suppl): 22-3. Available from: http://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/P_DentalHome.pdf.
81. Burton L. Edelstein, DDS, MPH. National Oral Health Policy Center at Children's Dental Health Project. Environmental factors in implementing the dental home for all young children. 2008 Oct. Available from: http://www.cdhp.org/resource/environmental_factors_implementing_dental_home_all_young_children. Accessed 2009 Oct 27.
82. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010: with understanding and improving health and objectives for improving health. 2 vols. 2nd ed. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 2000 Nov.
83. Nowak AJ, Casamassimo PS. The dental home: a primary oral health concept. J Am Dent Assoc. 2002 Jan; 133(1): 93-8.
84. Nowak AJ. Rationale for the timing of the first oral evaluation. Pediatr Dent. 1997 Jan-Feb; 19(1): 8-11.
85. Hale KJ; American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Pediatric Dentistry. Oral health risk assessment timing and establishment of the dental home. Pediatrics 2003 May; 111(5 Pt 1):1113-6.
86. Children's Dental Health Project (CDHP). 2008 CDHP principles: dental workforce. 2008 Sep. Available from: http://www.cdhp.org/resource/2008_cdhp_principles_dental_workforce.
87. Smedley BD, Stith Butler A, Bristow LR, editors. Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Committee on Institutional and Policy-Level Strategies for Increasing the Diversity of the U.S. Healthcare Workforce. In the Nation’s compelling interest: Ensuring diversity in the health-care workforce. Washington DC: The National Academies Press; 2004. 432p.
88. Sullivan, LW. Missing persons: minority in the health professions. Washington DC: The Sullivan Commission on Diversity of the Healthcare Workforce. 2004. 201p. Available from: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media/pdf/sullivanreport.pdf.
89. Center for Health Workforce Study, School of Public Health, University of Albany. Survey of dental hygienists in the United States, 2007: executive summary. Chicago, IL: American Dental Hygienists Association. 2009. 23p. Available from: http://www.adha.org/downloads/DH_pratitioner_Survey_Exec_Summary.pdf.
90. McQuistan MR, Kuthy RA, Daminano PC, Ward MM. General dentists’ referrals of 3- to 5-year-old children to pediatric dentists. J Am Dent Assoc 2006 May; 137(5): 653–60.
91. Lekic P-C, Sanche N, Odlum O, deVries J, Wiltshire W. Increasing general dentists’ provision of care to child patients through changes in the undergraduate pediatric dentistry program. J Dent Educ. 2005 Mar; 69(3): 371-7.
92. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) [Internet]. Shortage Designation: HPSAs, MUAs & MUPs. Last updated 2009 Feb 2. Available from: http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/shortage/. Accessed 2010 Feb 28.
93. Direct Access to Care by Dental Hygienists [Internet]. Chicago, IL: American Dental Hygienists’ Association; [updated 2010 Jan; cited 2010 Jan 20]. Available from: http://www.adha.org/governmental_affairs/downloads/direct_access.pdf.
94. Edelstein, BL. Columbia University and Children's Dental Health Project. Prepared for the. W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Training new dental health providers in the U.S. Washington: Children’s Dental Health Project; 2009 Dec. Available from: http://www.cdhp.org/resource/training_new_dental_health_providers_us.
95. American Academy of Pediatrics, Section on Pediatric Dentistry and Oral Health. A policy statement: preventive intervention for pediatricians. Pediatrics. 2008 Dec; 122(6): 1387-94.
96. American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Dental Care Programs Committee; American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Council of Clinical Affairs. Policies on oral health programs for infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatr Dent. 2007-2008; 30(7 Suppl): 21. Available from: http://www.aapd.org/media/Policies_Guidelines/P_OralHealthCareProg.pdf.
97. Crall JJ, Edelstein BL. Elements of effective action to improve oral health & access to dental care for Connecticut's Children and Families. A report commissioned by Connecticut Health Foundation Children's Fund of Connecticut. Appendix: Primer on Oral Health Policy: Concepts and Definitions. 2001 July 25.
98. Diagnosis and management of dental caries. Summary. Evidence report/technology assessment: Number 36. AHRQ Publication No. 01-E055, Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2001 Feb. Available from: http://archive.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/dentsumm.htm.
99. Diagnosis and management of dental caries throughout life. NIH Consensus Statement. 2001 March 26-28; 18(1): 1-23.
100. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Prevention of dental caries in preschool children. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2004 Apr. Available from: http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/uspsdnch.htm.
101. The Cochrane Library [Internet]. Independent high-quality evidence for health care decision making. Available from: http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/view/0/index.html. Accessed 2010 Mar 5.
102. Beauchamp J, Caufield PW, Crall JJ, Donly K, Feigal R, Gooch B, Ismail A, Kohn W, Siegal M, Simonsen R. Evidence-based clinical recommendations for the use of pit-and-fissure sealants: a report of the American Dental Association Council on Scientific Affairs. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008 Mar; 139(3): 257-68. Available from: http://jada.ada.org/cgi/reprint/139/3/257.