Title: South East View of Marton



Download 59.09 Kb.
Date conversion30.04.2018
Size59.09 Kb.

6a

Title: South East View of Marton

Description: South East View of Marton (including the remains of the clay built cottage where Cook was born)

Pen & ink, Indian ink wash on paper

Date: about 1788

Author: George Cuit (1743-1818)

Dimensions: 322 x 405

Collection: Wakefield Art Gallery

Reference no: A1.91 3/36

Record no.: Wakefield Art Gallery



South East View of Marton


Soon after news of Cook’s death reached England the site of the birthplace cottage at Marton, Middlesbrough, became one of the most important momentos of Cook’s life. Although the building itself was flimsy and quickly fell into disrepair after abandonment by the last occupants local people kept its significance and Cook’s memory alive by marking its location.
The remains of the cottage’s clay walls and earth platform were levelled by the Rudd family, the new owners of the estate, as part of their redevelopment of East Marton village. The village and the site of the cottage were recorded by the artist George Cuit (1743-1818) in about 1788.

6a

Title: Marton Lodge

Description: View of Marton Lodge, East Marton, from the north.

Date: about 1800

Author: unknown

Dimensions:

Collection: Middlesbrough Reference Library, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: Marton Lodge

Marton Lodge


Bartholomew Rudd purchased the Marton estate in 1786 and cleared East Marton village to make way for his new house, Marton Lodge, and its grounds. This involved removing the remains of Cook’s birthplace but Rudd seems to have realised the historical importance of the cottage and marked out its original site by a quadrangle of flint stones in the courtyard of the stable block of his new home.

6a

Title: Marton Hall

Description: Marton Hall from the air looking south.

Photograph

Date: about 1950

Author: unknown

Dimensions:

Collection: Middlesbrough Reference Library, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: Marton Hall Arial



Marton Hall


Marton Lodge burned down in 1832 and the estate was neglected until it was purchased by one of Middlesbrough’s leading industrialists, Henry Bolckow, in 1853. Bolckow removed the remains of the buildings and yards associated with the Lodge, including the cobbles marking the site of Cook’s birthplace and built a grand new mansion called Marton Hall. This Hall survived until 1960 when it too was destroyed by fire and demolished.


6a

Title: Cook Memorial

Description: The Cook Memorial, Stewart Park, Marton, Middlesbrough, with the inscription: “This Granite Vase was erected by H.W.F.Bolckow of Marton Hall, A.D.1858, to mark the site of the cottage in which Captain

James Cook, the World Circumnavigator was born, 27th October, 1728

Photograph

Date: about 1950

Author: unknown

Dimensions:

Collection: Middlesbrough Reference Library, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.:Granite vase

Cook Memorial


Bolckow replaced the cobbles marking the site of Cook’s birthplace cottage with a commemorative granite urn with the legend:

“This Granite Vase was erected by H.W.F.Bolckow of Marton Hall, A.D.1858, to mark the site of the cottage in which Captain James Cook, the World Circumnavigator was born, 27th October, 1728”

This still stands in what is now Stewart Park, Marton, and has recently (2003) been the focus for archaeological investigations into the surviving evidence for the birthplace cottage and village of East Marton.


6a

Title: Bolckow’s Webber Portrait

Description: Portrait of Captain James Cook.

Photograph of an oil painting now in the National Art Gallery, Wellington, New Zealand

Date: 1776

Author: John Webber

Dimensions:

Collection: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: Cook portrait Webber



Bolckow’s Webber Portrait


Bolckow developed his interest in Cook, collecting Cook memorabilia, journals, letters and personalia which he displayed as part of his art and historic collections in Marton Hall. An 1870s inventory of household contents lists:

Mr.C.F.H. Bolckow Room. “Captain Cook” by Webb’

Bolckow sold his collection of Cook material at Sotheby’s in 1923 and this portrait is now in the collection of the National Art Gallery, Wellington, New Zealand.




6a

Title: Captain Cook Bicentenary Celebrations

Description: The Bicentenary Celebrations to mark the 250th anniversary of Cook’s birth on the south lawn of Marton Hall, Stewart Park, Marton, Middlesbrough. This shows the ‘Pilgrimage’ in Stewart Park with Bolckow’s granite urn in the background.

Photograph

Date: 8th September 1928

Author:


Dimensions:

Collection: Middlesbrough Reference Library, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: Cook bicentenary



Captain Cook Bicentenary Celebrations


At a meeting in May 1928 representatives from the Councils of Middlesbrough, Redcar and Whitby, Rotarians from Middlesbrough and Saltburn, the Territorials and the village of Marske, decided to stage celebrations to mark the 250th anniversary of Cook’s birth.
A souvenir booklet was produced which gave details of all the permanent memorials to Cook in the North East area along with a programme of “Celebrations planned for Whitby, Redcar, and other places in Cleveland connected with Captain Cook’s lifetime.” These included the ‘Pilgrimage’ at Marton on 8th September 1928 and a line of beacons “…to be lighted on the Cleveland Hills from Whitby to Ayton on October 27th, the actual anniversary of his birthday…”
The Captain Cook Celebrations still take place annually around the time of Cook’s birth (27th October).



6a

Title: Saint Cuthbert’s Parish Church

Description: Saint Cuthbert’s Parish Church, Marton, Middlesbrough

Photograph

Date: about 1970

Author:


Dimensions:

Collection: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: St. Cuthberts



Saint Cuthbert’s Parish Church


The register of St. Cuthbert’s Parish Church, Marton, Middlesbrough, contains the first historical reference to James Cook. Named after his father the entry reads:

“Nobr. (November) 3 James ye son of James Cook day labourer baptized.”


The annual Service of Thanksgiving for Cook’s life still takes place here on the Sunday nearest Cook’s birthday.




6a

Title: Memorial window

Description: Memorial window to members of the Bolckow family with a depiction of Captain Cook, in St. Cuthbert’s Parish Church, Marton, Middlesbrough.

Photograph

Date: about 1970

Author:


Dimensions:

Collection: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: Memorial window



Memorial window


This memorial window with a depiction of Captain Cook was installed in St. Curthbert’s Parish Church, Marton, in 1951. Its dedication reads:

“ In loving memory of/Henry W.F. Bolckow 1865-1947, Bessy M.Bolckow 1867-1944/H.Cuthbert R. Bolckow 1897-1944/This window was given by Dorothy M.Bolckow.”






6a

Title: The Captain Cook Birthplace Museum

Description: Exterior of the Captain Cook Birthplace Museum, Stewart Park, Marton, Middlesbrough.

Date: 1978

Author:

Dimensions:



Collection: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: cookmuseum or CCBM exterior

The Captain Cook Birthplace Museum


The Museum was opened by Middlesbrough Council in a purpose-built building in 1978 to mark the 250th anniversary of Cook’s birth. The displays tell the story of Cook’s life and achievements and are supported by a lively programme of educational activities, temporary exhibitions and special events.
The building stands on the site of Marton Lodge and Hall and within yards of the granite urn which has traditionally marked the location of Cook’s birthplace cottage.



6a

Title: Time Team “Big Dig”

Description: Time Team “Big Dig”, granite urn, Stewart Park, Marton, showing the two trenches north and south of the granite urn. Carenza Lewis of Time Team discussing the excavation with the Director, Stephen Sherlock (to her left)

Date: 27th June 2003

Author: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum

Dimensions:

Collection: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.:CNV00019

Time Team “Big Dig”


In June 2003 as part of Channel 4 Television’s Time Team “Big Dig” Tees Archaeology led a two-week exploration of the site around the granite urn in Stewart Park. The dig was featured on a Time Team “Big Dig” television special. The aim of the excavation was to try to locate evidence for any remains of the birthplace cottage.
Although it is likely that the urn is not in its original location marking the birthplace cottage site, considerable evidence was found for late 18th century activity, probably representing the area’s re-landscaping during the building of Marton Lodge. Various cobbled surfaces were revealed along with large amounts of pottery, building material and some coins.
A second site was investigated in October 2003 that revealed evidence for medieval East Marton. It is hoped that archaeological investigations will form part of a regular programme of activities in Stewart Park.


6a

Title: The Visit of HM Bark Endeavour

Description: The Visit of HM Bark Endeavour to Middlehaven, Middlesbrough, as part of the Captain Cook Celebrations 03. Endeavour moored in Middlehaven with the Transporter Bridge (left) and Dock Clock Tower (right) in the background.

Date: October 2003

Author: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum

Dimensions:

Collection: Captain Cook Birthplace Museum, Middlesbrough Council

Reference no:

Record no.: CNV00024

The Visit of HM Bark Endeavour


As part of the Captain Cook Celebrations ’03 which marked the 275th anniversary of Cook’s birth, the Australian-built replica of Cook’s ship on the first voyage, HM Bark Endeavour, visited Middlesbrough for the first time. Moored in Middlehaven, the site of the former Middlesbrough Dock, Endeavour attracted over 22,000 people to the site, more than half of these visitors actually went aboard. A full programme of special activities and events were organised to coincide with the visit.

6d NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE




Title: Paddle (Hoe) from New Zealand

Description: Wooden canoe paddle, with traces of negative-resist painted scroll pattern (kowhaiwhai) on the blade. There is open-work carving of a bird’s head (manaia) at the handle-end of the shaft, and relief carving at the head-end.

Acquired in Poverty Bay, North Island, New Zealand in October 1769 during Cook’s First Voyage (1768-71)

Parkinson sketched this item (see British Library Add.Ms.23920 f.71)

Acquired from the Allan Museum

Published in Jessop, L. & Starkey, J. (1998) No Contemptible Workmanship: Material culture of the Pacific region represented in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyne & Wear Museums.

Date: 1760s

Author:


Dimensions:1780mm long, width of blade 130mm.

Collection: The Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference no: NEWHM: C589

Record no.:HancockC589e



Paddle in the Hancock Museum


Housed in the current building since 1884 (called the Hancock Museum since 1891) the ethnographic collections can be traced back to 1793 with the foundation of the Newcastle Literary and Philosophical Society and are of international significance. The collection of George Allan was purchased by the Newcastle Literary and Philosophical Society in 1822 and contains a number of items associated with Cook’s voyages, including this Maori paddle.


Title: Three paddles from New Zealand

Description:

Pen, wash & watercolour.

From A Collection of Drawings made in the Countries visited by Captain Cook in his First Voyage. 1768-1771

Date: October 1769

Author: Sydney Parkinson

Dimensions:295 x 228

Collection: British Library

Reference no: Add.Ms 23920

f.71


Record no.: 19580

Three paddles from New Zealand


The bottom example of these paddles is the one preserved in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle (NEWHM:C589)

Sydney Parkinson, artist on Cook’s First Voyage, wrote: “The bottom of their (Maori) canoes was made out of a single tree; and the upper part was formed of two planks, sewed together, narrowed both at head and stern. The former was very long, having a carved head at the end of it painted red, and the stern ended in a flat beak. They had thwarts to sit on, and their paddles were curiously stained with a red colour, disposed into various strange figures; and the whole together was no contemptible workmanship”.

(Parkinson 1773, 90, 12 October 1769)



Title: Wickerwork Head from Hawaii

Description: A wickerwork figure of a stylised human head (‘aumakua hulu manu), with wide-open mouth defined by rows of the canine teeth of dogs. Made of a wickerwork frame covered with vegetable fibre netting; once covered with feathers, they have almost all been lost. The bases of some feather shafts remain, but not enough to discern their colour. There is no inlay in the oval eye sockets and both the framework and netting are damaged in places. In 1827 it was commented that it “has been covered with the red feathers of the Hook-billed Red Creeper”, indicating that perhaps the feathers were already missing by 1827. They had certainly gone by about 1870. Such images are usually said to represent Kukailimoku, the Hawaiian war deity.

Such a figure illustrated by John Webber, British Library Add.Ms.15514 f.27

Acquired from the Allan Museum

Published in Jessop, L. & Starkey, J. (1998) No Contemptible Workmanship: Material culture of the Pacific region represented in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyne & Wear Museums.

Date:pre-1800

Author:

Dimensions:800mm high, 180mm wide, 370mm deep



Collection: The Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference no: NEWHM: C584

Record no.:HancockC584e

Wickerwork Head in the Hancock Museum


Although this Hawaiian wickerwork head has no Cook voyage associations it is similar to a group of items collected and recorded on the Third Voyage. These featherwork objects include: heads; cloaks; capes; aprons; helmets and ornaments.
This item represents perhaps one of the rarest category of artefact in the Hancock Museum’s collections.

Title: An Idol made of Wicker, and covered with red Feathers

Description: An Idol made of Wicker, and covered with red Feathers, Hawaii.

Date:1779

Author:John Webber

Dimensions:521 x 368

Collection: British Library

Reference no: Add. Ms.15514

f.27


Record no.: C3119-04

An Idol made of Wicker


On Cook’s Third Voyage it was observed of the Hawaiians:

“…in the Center Canoe were the busts of what we supposed their Gods made of basket work, variously covered with red, black, white & Yellow feathers, the Eyes represent’d by a bit of Pearl Oyster Shell with a black button, & the teeth were those of dogs, the mouths of all were stragely distorted, as wel as other features.”

King in Cook, Journals III, I, 512


Title: Club from New Caledonia

Description: Wooden war club with head of six broad radiating spikes; expanded flange at butt. Head and top of shaft cracked and a fragment broken from one spike. Figured in A.W. Franks notebook, circa 1870. Originally in the Allan Museum.

Published in Jessop, L. & Starkey, J. (1998) No Contemptible Workmanship: Material culture of the Pacific region represented in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyne & Wear Museums.

Date:pre-1800

Author:

Dimensions:700mm long, diameter of head 210mm.



Collection: The Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference no: NEWHM: C528

Record no.:HancockC528c

Club in the Hancock Museum


The early date of the Allan Museum collection (pre-1800) means that there are few possible origins for items like this club from New Caledonia than Cook’s voyages.
During Cook’s visit to New Caledonia during the Second Voyage (1772-75) the men of the Island traded clubs, darts and other weapons with Cook’s men

Title: Quarterstaff from New Zealand

Description: Quarterstaff (Tewhatewha) from New Zealand. Wooden hatchet-shaped Maori club or quarter staff, with plain, uncarved tongue. Lacks feather tassel.

From the Allan Museum

Published in Jessop, L. & Starkey, J. (1998) No Contemptible Workmanship: Material culture of the Pacific region represented in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyne & Wear Museums.

Date:probably late 18th century

Author:


Dimensions:1390mm long, width of head 320mm.

Collection: The Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference no: NEWHM: C588

Record no.:HancockC588a



Quarterstaff in the Hancock Museum


Long handled clubs or quarterstaffs/battleaxes like this one were collected on Cook’s visits to New Zealand on all three voyages. Various types of hand clubs and weapons made of wood, bone and stone were the most numerous objects collected on Cook’s voyages.

Title: Flute from the Society Islands

Description: Bamboo nose flute from the Society Islands (Tahiti), bound with plaited vegetable fibre. Fibre is arranged in coloured bands. Binding loose in part, bamboo cracked, and coloured bands faded.

Probably collected on Cook’s First Voyage (1768-71). Similar items drawn by John Frederick Miller, British Library Add.Ms. 23921 f.54)

Possibly acquired by the Allan Museum from Daniel Boulter of Great Yarmouth, late 18th century.

Published in Jessop, L. & Starkey, J. (1998) No Contemptible Workmanship: Material culture of the Pacific region represented in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyne & Wear Museums.

Date:pre-1800

Author:

Dimensions:440mm long, 35mm diameter.



Collection: The Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference no: NEWHM: C686

Record no.:HancockC686a

Flute in the Hancock Museum


Musical instruments collected and depicted from the Society Islands (Tahiti) on Cook’s voyages include drums, shell trumpets and nose flutes. Cook and his men attended entertainments which included music and dance on a number of occasions in the Society Islands.


Title: Musicians of Tahiti

Description: Musicians of Tahiti.

Four Tahitians, two dressed in the mare playing the nose flute; two dressed in the tiputa beating drums.

“In my mornings walk today I met a company of travelling musicians; they told me where they should be at night so after supper we all repaired to the place. There was a large concourse of people round this band, which consisted of 2 flutes and three drums.”


Recorded in Joseph Banks's Journal I, 290, 12 June 1769

From: Drawings illustrative of Captain Cook's First Voyage, 1768-1771

Date:June 1769

Author: The artist of the chief mourner

Dimensions:

Collection: British Library

Reference no: Add.Ms 15508 f.11

Record no.: 19413


Musicians of Tahiti


Joseph Banks recorded in his journal: “In my mornings walk today I met a company of travelling musicians; they told me where they should be at night so after supper we all repaired to the place. There was a large concourse of people round this band, which consisted of 2 flutes and three drums.”

Banks, Journal I, 290, 12 June 1769






Title: Neck Ornament (Rei puta) from New Zealand

Description: Neck Ornament (Rei puta) from New Zealand, the pendant made from the tooth of a sperm whale (Physeter catodon) with two engraved blackened eyes on the tooth. A finely plaited flax cord and bird bone toggle attachment serves for hanging around the wearer’s neck.

Thought to have been collected during Cook’s First Voyage (1768-71)

Published in Jessop, L. & Starkey, J. (1998) No Contemptible Workmanship: Material culture of the Pacific region represented in the Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyne & Wear Museums.

Originally in the Allan Museum & Galleries

Date:pre-1800

Author:

Dimensions:170mm long, 45mm wide, length of cord 450mm, length of toggle 75mm.



Collection: The Hancock Museum, Newcastle upon Tyne

Reference no: NEWHM: C765



Record no.:HancockC765o

Neck Ornament in the Hancock Museum


A large number of ornaments made by the Maori people of New Zealand were collected on Cook’s voyages. These include neck ornaments such as this one, ear ornaments, cloak pins and combs. These are made of a variety of materials, including greenstone, bone, tooth, shell and cordage.


The database is protected by copyright ©dentisty.org 2016
send message

    Main page