Directions: For chapters 1-3, use the chart below to help you keep track of your reading. Summarize the setting or settings, and then summarize each major event in the chapter. Try to keep your summaries short (complete sentences aren’t necessary). Chapter one has been done as an example for you.
Directions: As you read and take notes on your plot and summary chart, use the questions below to help guide your understanding of all aspects of the novel. After reading the given chapter, answer the questions on the notebook paper attached to this page.
1. How does the narrator describe himself?
2. Why does he like to go to the movies alone?
3. What happens to him on the way home from the movies?
4. How does he feel as he is being followed? Why? What signs does he exhibit that tell you this is how he feels? How does he get out of it?
5. What happened to the parents of the narrator?
6. What do we learn is the name of the narrator?
7. Why is Ponyboy so reluctant to tell Darry how he really feels afterwards?
8. Who are Soda and Steve? Where do they work?
9. How did Two-Bit get his nickname? What is his real name?
10. According to Ponyboy, what is different about Dally from the rest of the guys?
11. Why does Darry work so hard?
12. What does Sodapop tell Ponyboy about his plans for Sandy and himself?