|The Dr. Keith Titley Pediatric Dental Graduate Training Scholarship
Terms of Reference
Dr. Keith Titley was a full Professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of
Dentistry, University of Toronto from 1970 to 2008. Keith worked tirelessly as an educator in both undergraduate and graduate training in Pediatric Dentistry. He was a mentor and a friend to many graduate trainees in Pediatric Dentistry and the products of his work are spread across Canada providing advanced oral health care to children, and education and research in Pediatric Dentistry. He was the supervisor for countless diploma theses in Pediatric Dentistry and the supervisor for as many M.Sc. in Pediatric Dentistry theses.
Keith also worked tirelessly first as Chief Examiner and then as the Registrar for the Royal College of Dentists of Canada. In doing so he insured the importance of advanced training in the recognized specialty programs of Canada and as such insured an examination process that was fair and equitable for all dental specialties.
Keith has also been a strong supporter and member of the Canadian Academy of Pediatric
Dentistry/Académie Canadienne de Dentisterie Pédiatrique.
In recognition of Dr. Titley’s quiet, yet tireless work in the area of Pediatric Dentistry this scholarship of the Canadian Academy of Pediatric Dentistry/Académie Canadienne de Dentisterie Pédiatrique has been named in his honour.
Purpose of the Fund
This scholarship will support advanced training in the area of Research and Fellowship in
Pediatric Dentistry in Canada.
Administration of the Fund
This scholarship will be administered through the scholarship committee of the
CAPD/ACDP with terms of reference for the scholarship to be established by the Canadian
Academy of Pediatric Dentistry.
1. Canadian Graduate trainees who are registered in an accredited Canadian advanced
training program in Pediatric Dentistry and who are entering their final year of the program are eligible to apply.
2. Graduate students must be a student member of the CAPD/ACDP.
3. Students will be considered one time only.
The scholarship will be for $2000 a year. In the 2014-2015 cycle a runner up scholarship of
$1000 will be available.
Process and Selection
1. In June of each year the Chair of the scholarship committee will insure that all
Canadian program heads of graduate training programs in Pediatric Dentistry, as well as all graduate students in accredited Canadian Pediatric dental programs are sent an application and the outline of the process.
2. Applications will be accepted at the end of the student’s penultimate year of graduate training when their thesis question and proposal is known and prior to September 30 of the same year. Applications will be received up to the posted deadline. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed. Applications will be submitted by email only, all forms must be received in Microsoft word format.
3. The application will consist of:
i. The application form and the applicant’s curriculum vitae. ii. A progress report from the primary supervisor of the thesis.
4. The committee shall consist of:
i. The Chair of the Scholarship committee (Committee Chair)
ii. Dr. Keith Titley
iii. Members of the Scholarship committee
iv. An executive liaison as appointed by the Executive
5. The Chair will be non-voting.
6. The Chair will evaluate the applications and screen out those members of the committee that would have conflicts with the applicants. The remaining committee members would be pooled and 3 members drawn to mark the application package.
7. The committee will mark the application package on a score sheet that will be developed by the committee and modified on occasion and as voted on by the committee. Elements of the marking will include a rating of the students thesis proposal, a rating of the progress report, a rating of the curriculum vitae including an assessment of the students’
past and current extracurricular activities in the area of community mindedness and volunteerism. The award shall be awarded to the student who demonstrates the spirit that Dr. Titley embodied in the areas of academic achievement, general character and participation in extracurricular activities. The committee members will rank the candidates for tie-breaking purposes only.
1. The cash award will be forwarded to the scholarship recipient within 10 days of the
selection committee’s decision which will be forwarded to the Treasurer of CAPD by the committee chair. The winner’s name will be published in the CAPD/ACDP Mirror and will be announced at the next annual general meeting where a certificate will be presented by Dr. Titley (if in attendance) and the President of the Academy to the winner.
2. Letters of thanks for submissions will be forwarded to all applicants upon the committee’s decision by the Chair of the selection committee.
1. Download from the CAPD/ACDP website the documents a) The Dr. Keith Titley
Pediatric Dental Graduate Training Scholarship Application and b) The Dr. Keith Titley Pediatric Dental Graduate Training Scholarship Advisor Statement. The applicant should complete the application and their primary research advisor should complete the advisor statement. These documents should be saved as Microsoft word files as a) candidatenameapplication.doc and b) candidatenameadvisor.doc. A copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae should be saved as a Microsoft word file as c) candidatenamecurriculumvitae.doc.
Submit all three documents above as file attachments via email
firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
The deadline for applications for those who will graduate in the 2015-2016 academic year is October 31, 2016