|THE ART OF DENTAL THERAPEUTICS
Modern Dental Pharmacology
Peter L. Jacobsen, PhD, DDS
Diplomate, American Board of Oral Medicine
Adjunct Professor, Dept of Pathology and Medicine
Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry
1290 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, CA, 94117
415 921 2448 pvt practice (wed, fri)
415 564 6106 home (wed, thur)
707 944 1279 farm (sat, sun, mon, tue)
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the best of the new antifungals for yeast infections? Can antiviral drugs be used prophylactically for herpes infections? What is the current recommended regime for sinus infections? Is penicillin still the best drug for oral infections? A dentist makes an average of 5-10 drug prescribing decisions a week. This course will be a concise, informative, and entertaining update on the drugs of choice and related techniques for the treatment of infections, and the control of pain and anxiety necessary in modern dentistry. The course focuses on clinically relevant information that is immediately useable in the dental practice.
1. You will be able to choose the most current, effective topical and systemic antiviral drugs for patients with herpes virus infections.
2. You will be able to decide on the first, second, and third drugs of choice for oral infections.
3. You will be aware of the newest drugs for fungal infections, aphthous ulcers, sinusitis, and other oral cavity/head and neck problems.
4. You will learn the most current (2007) guidelines for heart and total joint prophylaxis.
5. You will learn when pharmacologic instructions and/or treatments are appropriate for periodontal disease, endodontic procedures, procedures likely to cause pain and other dental problems or procedures.
6. You will learn the advantages and disadvantages of the various types of pain medication and the best trial of medication to prevent pain before it starts.
7. You will have fun, learn some stuff, and think at the end that the course was entertaining and worth the time spent. At least that is an objective Dr. Jacobsen says he has for you and the course.