On May 20, 2011 an EU regulation enters into force, which means that Swedish national authorities has to issue residence permit cards instead of the current stickers being inserted into passports. The cards have a data chip where the biometrics must be stored.
Is this legislation only valid for Sweden?
All EU member states will issue the same type of residence permit cards beginning May 20, 2011.
Who are required to leave biometrics?
All applicants who are granted a residence permit have to leave biometrics.
Two groups are exempt from the requirement for submitting fingerprints:
– children under the age of 6
– persons who cannot submit fingerprints for physical reasons.
These persons must, however, still be photographed, and submit a signature in some cases.
When are the changes effective?
On 20 May, 2011.
What will change in the process of receiving a residence permit?
You need to come to the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok to leave biometrics before the residence card can be issued.
How soon after the interview will I receive advise regarding the approval/denial of my application?
The relevant information about the general waiting time regarding decisions can be obtained by looking at the website of the Swedish Migration Board www.migrationsverket.se. You can also contact the Swedish Migration Board about your case specifically .
When should I book my flight to Bangkok?
You are advised to book a flight to Bangkok after you have received information that the application has been granted and you have booked time at the Consulate in Manila for leaving biometrics in Bangkok.
How long do I have to stay in Bangkok?
The estimated time to go from the airport to the Embassy by taxi is between 45 – 60 minutes. At times the traffic in Bangkok is very heavy which may lengthen the travel considerably. Normally, capturing of biometrics takes 5 - 10 minutes. However, depending on the number of applicants who will leave biometrics you may have to wait for a short while for your turn.
Can I go to Bangkok for biometrics even without having the result of the application?
You may go to Bangkok to leave biometrics after you have done your interview and the application is registered in Bangkok. This will however be at your own risk since you do not know the result of the decision on your application. Should your application be rejected, your trip to Bangkok is in vain.
10. Can I go to Bangkok even before my interview? You cannot go to the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok before the interview since your application is not registered at the Embassy until the interview has been conducted and sent from the Consulate to the Embassy in Bangkok.
11. If we are a family, do we all need to go to Bangkok for the biometrics? Yes, all family members have to leave biometrics.
12. Do I need an appointment for leaving biometrics? When you have received information that the application is granted, you have to contact the Consulate General of Sweden in Manila in order to book time for the biometrics at the Swedish Embassy in Bangkok.
13. Where do we book an appointment? You book an appointment for the biometrics at the Consulate General of Sweden in Manila.
14. What documents do I need to present on the day I will leave my biometrics in Bangkok? You need to present your passport together with a copy of the decision.
15. How soon after I have submitted biometrics will I receive the residence card? The residence card is produced in Sweden, which means that it can take up to three weeks to produce it and send it to the Embassy in Bangkok. When the card arrives at the Embassy in Bangkok, it will be forwarded to the Consulate in Manila for distribution, which will take some additional days.
16. How do I get the residence card? You can receive the residence card by visiting the Consulate in Manila. You may also opt to have the card sent to you via courier service for an additional fee.
17. What is the validity of the residence cards? A new card is issued for each new residence period, though the maximum period of validity is five years.
18. If I already have a sticker in my passport showing my residence permit, do I need to change that into a residence card? The current sticker is valid until the expiration date, but at the latest until May 20, 2015. 19. Do I have to pay anything extra for the residence card? No, You do not pay anything extra for the card. The fee you pay is the application fee for residence permit. If you opt to have the card sent by courier service to your home you have to pay an additional fee.
20. If I have to extend my permit do I have to go through the same process again? A new card is issued for each new residence period, which means that you have to leave biometrics again.
21. If I lose my residence card, do I have to submit the biometrics again?
If you lose the residence card, new biometrics must be captured for the same permit. The same applies when the period of validity for the proof of the permanent residence permit has expired as this is valid for a maximum of five years.