Meeting type: X staff Starting Time: 2: 00 p m



Download 73.13 Kb.
Date conversion13.07.2018
Size73.13 Kb.

PowerPlusWaterMarkObject357831064



Basic Skills Committee
January 21, 2016
Meeting Minutes


MEETING TYPE: X Staff Starting Time: 2:00 p.m.


Product/Project Ending Time: 3:30 p.m.

Special Place: H-306


CHAIRS: Cindy Anfinson and Carol Lowther
MEMBERS: Cindy Anfinson, Carol Lowther, Shayla Sivert, Debra Avila, Kelly Falcone, Lee Chen, Jennifer Backman, Cindy Torgison, Rosalinda Tovar, Benhui Zou, Erin Feld, Nimoli Madan, Melinda Carrillo, Kevin Kearney

Members Absent: Dana O’Callaghan, Lori Waite, Dan Sourbeer or designee, Ruth Barnaba, Brian Stockert, Calvin One Deer Gavin, Barbara Blanchard, Mathew Baugh
RECORDER: Rosalinda Tovar

  1. Minutes

    1. Introduction: Carol Lowther/ new FRC Coordinator

    2. Introductions

    3. Look over minutes/ corrections…

    4. M/S: Cindy/ Kevin

    5. All in favor: Minutes approved as moved




  1. Action

  1. We need a new SSEC Representative from Basic Skills, a volunteer to represent us to replace Jorge Villalobos.

  2. Meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month (9:00am-11:00am).

  3. Committee needs to send name to council; let Cindy know if interested.




  1. Information Items

    1. Update on Proposed Basic Skills Initiative Funding Form – Shayla

      1. Form

        1. Based on SSEC form, ours follows spirit and process they have in place. The form is on the BSI website.

          1. (Website issues) Redirection needs to happen: Debra will speak with Chris Norcross about re-routing to NEW website

          2. PDF form is writeable.

          3. Shayla will contact Alonna Farrar to make sure that the submission link sends the documents to Shayla or one of the coordinators.

        2. Links included to assist applicants

        3. Action Plan explains the projects associated with our allocation; this committee finalizes the action plans for the coming year during the fall semester

        4. There is flexibility within our budget, though sometimes we need to move items around to find funding.

  1. Deadlines/Processes

    1. The committee looks over applications/ looks back or plans ahead

      1. October 1st deadline: Spring

      2. March1st: For next Fall

    2. Ideally we would be ahead of the game

    3. Courses Directly Tied to BSI

      1. Counseling

      2. ENG 10/ 50 (50: technically not a basic skills class), basic skills students move into ENG 50 but still need our support

      3. ESL

      4. Math 15

      5. Reading 31, 32, 49

      6. Need to add DR 15 Math, English

    4. Expenditure Guidelines from Chancellor’s Office: some surprises about non-allowances from May 2015 guidelines—can no longer pay for food

    5. Amounts requested need to be justified, no maximum; make sure money is spent

    6. Funding immediately available: Melinda Reading 49 to add embedded tutoring: test case

    7. SSEC has a rubric they are developing; we can adapt this for our needs

    8. Shayla is working with a group of individuals from across campus for input about all grant sources/allocations in the hopes of informing us all more effectively.

    9. Committee members love the idea of having ONE form that has all of the available funding sources (this is how CIE came about!)

      1. Comet Information Exchange: All college council information in one location

      2. This hits accreditation “evidence”




    1. Learning Communities and Village Mentoring – Carol

        1. Enrollment picked up!


LC #

Total students enrolled

1

24

2

24

3

Cancelled

4

23

5

18

6

17

7

25


        1. Carol will be asking for LC links soon: need to know by February (beginning)

        2. English 10: Cinema 100-- Kevin Kearney with Candace Rose: add embedded tutor

        3. Strategies add reading: work with Reading dept: readability, techniques…

        4. No mentoring update: Carol will contact Larry




    1. Summer Bridge and FYE Update - Cindy

      1. Proposing ESL Jam in ESC this summer (ESL 55 and 101): 7 weeks

        1. Schedule with Nimoli, will be going to ESL Dept.

        2. Same # instruction hours as SM program

        3. Evening program

          1. Still working out details

          2. Counseling: will not be a 1 hour everyday; Thursday will be counseling night

          3. Working on Reading workshops with Melinda

          4. Reg. Assistance/Financial Aid Assistance

          5. Mondays: coffee/ cookies, Wed: pizza

          6. Will be reaching out to library: Benhui

          7. Issue with HS still in session: but it’s in the evening

          8. We need to figure out the Marketing aspect

          9. Financial aid: ask students to prepare materials to bring to FIN AID assistance

        4. Math Jam: new software: ALEKS

          1. Adaptive software

          2. Matthews  we will be piloting program so we will be using it for free, we will get as many as we need

      2. FYE

        1. As of 12/01: 151/ 200 signed up for Spring

        2. 168-171 post follow-up: phone calls/emails,

        3. Now 17487% returning for Spring! Campus-wide is 72%

        4. Personal touch makes a big difference!

        5. FYE Spring: Counseling, only 4 of 9 shifts filled, no counselor for ESC

          1. Have asked for 2 part time counselors: waiting to hear back from Brian Stockert

        6. Workshops: financial aid set up

        7. Foundation grant: Feb 11th Birch Aquarium/ UCSD Campus Tour & lunch




    1. TLC Update – Debra

      1. Tutoring: ESC begins next week

      2. Writing Tutor: San Marcos

      3. Class presentations: ESC

      4. Class presentations: San Marcos- Rosalinda

      5. “ Discover Palomar” table

      6. “SNAP” invitation

      7. Traffic: San Marcos…12pm today: 265 visits, 235 unduplicated students in 2.5 days!


  1. Activity

    1. Basic Skills Action Plan 2016

      1. Begin discussing now so by August we’re at a better place 

      2. Review 5 activities; then we will move to see how we want to tackle Action Plan

        1. Goal 1: Expand FYE Program to 300 students, improve contact with students

        2. Goal 2: Implement 4th year LeapStart

        3. Goal 3: Scale up Summer Bridge

        4. Goal 4: Improve rate at which DRC Students pass ESL, ENG 10, READ 49, Math 15

        5. Goal 5: Design, implement accelerated ESL coursework ESL 55, ESL 101, ESL 102, ESL 103, accelerated program

      3. What do we want to do with this document: revise for next fall?

      4. Do we need additional information about these activities, add new activities?

      5. Long term goals, 5 year goals, tie activities to goals

      6. Conversation about goals, this may shift our activities

      7. 4 goals as outlined in the plan we presented

        1. Are we getting data for these goals? Shayla is working on getting it from Research & Planning

        2. Need Goals/Activities as handouts: prior to next meeting, will break out into small groups to discuss

        3. We can add more, maybe some are already established so move on to new items?




    1. Other

      1. Erin: Online tutoring: Math NET tutors will be available when the center is closed: currently working on contracts… students need tutoring during times when the center is closed

        1. NET tutoring available 24 hours/day

        2. We need data: accreditation

        3. Fari… others making classroom presentations about resources for math

      2. Spring plenary: Kelly & Laurel Anderson

        1. Presentation well received: presentation will be posted/ available soon

        2. Mental illness presentation was standing room only!




    1. Meeting Adjourned @ 3:11 pm



Next Meeting: February 18, 2016 in H-306




The database is protected by copyright ©dentisty.org 2016
send message

    Main page