Without limiting the generality of any other provision of this Agreement, and except as provided in paragraph (b)(2) of this Section and except with respect to claims where the injury was sustained prior to the Lease Commencement Date, the Lessee shall indemnify, hold harmless and reimburse the Indemnified Parties from all claims, demands, penalties, fines, liabilities (including strict liability), settlements, attorney and consultant fees, investigation and laboratory fees, Remediation costs, court costs and litigation expenses, damages, judgments, losses, costs and expenses of whatsoever kind or nature and whether known or unknown, contingent or otherwise, just or unjust, groundless, unforeseeable or otherwise, arising or alleged to arise out of or in any way related to any Environmental Damages or any Environmental Requirement which the Lessee is obligated to comply with pursuant to this Agreement, or the risks and responsibilities assumed hereunder by the Lessee for the condition of the Premises or a breach or default of the Lessee’s obligations under this Section. If so directed, the Lessee shall at its own expense defend any suit based upon the foregoing, and in handling such it shall not, without obtaining express advance permission from the General Counsel of the Port Authority, raise any defense involving in any way the jurisdiction of the tribunal over the person of the Port Authority, the immunity of the Port Authority, its Commissioners, officers, agents or employees, the governmental nature of the Port Authority or the provisions of any statutes respecting suits against the Port Authority.
(i) Compliance Standard.
(1) Without limiting the generality of any provision of this Agreement, in the event that any Environmental Requirement sets forth more than one compliance standard, the Lessee agrees that the standard or standards to be applied in connection with any obligation it may have under this Agreement with respect to said Environmental Requirement shall be that which requires or permits the lowest level of a Hazardous Substance; provided, however, that in the event such lowest level of a Hazardous Substance requires or allows the imposition of any restriction of any nature whatsoever upon the use or occupancy of the Premises or any other portion of the Airport or upon any operations or activities conducted or to be conducted on the Premises or the Airport or upon the transfer of the Premises or the Airport, then the Lessee shall Remediate to such a level so that there is no such restriction placed upon the use and occupancy of the Premises or the Airport or upon any operations or activities conducted or to be conducted on the Premises or the Airport.
(2) The Lessee further agrees that, notwithstanding the terms and conditions of paragraph (i)(1) above, the Port Authority shall have the right at any time and from time to time, acting in its sole discretion and without any obligation whatsoever to the Lessee or otherwise to do so, to designate any level or levels or standard or standards of Remediation permitted or required under any Environmental Requirement, and such designation shall be binding upon the Lessee with respect to its obligations under this Agreement with respect to Environmental Requirements.
(3) Nothing in this paragraph (i) shall be construed to require the Lessee to Remediate any Analyzed Item below the Existing Condition except as otherwise required by or as set forth in this Agreement, including without limitation as required by or as set forth in paragraphs (k), (q) and (r) of this Section.
The methodology to be used for the purpose of this Section to determine for any Existing Condition the level of an Analyzed Item at any location in, on or under the Premises shall be, for ground water, straight line interpolation methodology utilizing principles of hydrogeologic interpretation, and for soil, the EPA geostatistical software system applicable at any particular time and, notwithstanding any other evidence to the contrary, including without limitation anything contained in the reports constituting a part of the Environmental Report, the Existing Condition as so determined shall constitute, for all purposes as between the Lessee and the Port Authority, the levels of the Analyzed Items in the soil and ground water in, on and under the Premises; provided, however, that with respect to each location from which soil and/or water samples have been taken and the tests results thereof form a part of the Existing Condition, the level of each Analyzed Item that was found at such location shall constitute the test result of such Analyzed Item at such location.
(k) Disposal of Matter.
(1) It is expressly understood and agreed that the proper handling, delivery, treatment, storage, transportation, disposal and depositing (collectively, “Disposal”), whether on or off the Airport, of any soil, dirt, sand, silt, water, asbestos, lead, PCB’s, demolition or construction debris or other matter excavated, disturbed or removed by the Lessee or its contractors at, from or under the Premises or any other area of the Airport (all such soil, etc. or other matter, collectively, the “Matter”) at any time or times, and regardless of the nature or composition of such Matter, including without limitation any and all Disposal of any Matter in connection with the performance of the construction, repair, replacement, rebuilding of the Premises, or any other construction work, and any and all Remediation and Disposal of any Matter and any and all other Remediation and Disposal (whether soil, upper aquifer or otherwise) necessary, required or appropriate as a result of, caused by, incidental to or triggered by such excavation, disturbance or removal of the Matter or arising therefrom, and the taking or doing of any and all other action or actions necessary, required or appropriate in connection therewith, shall be the sole and complete responsibility of the Lessee, including without limitation all costs and expenses thereof and any and all Environmental Damages, Environmental Requirements, claims, penalties and other expenses relating thereto. The foregoing obligations of the Lessee shall obtain and apply with full force and effect irrespective of the nature or source of any contaminant, pollutant, chemical, waste or other substance or whether any of the same is a Hazardous Substance or whether any of the same is at a level or levels above or below the level or levels of any of the Analyzed Items constituting the Existing Condition or whether there has or has not been any decrease or increase in such level or levels. The Lessee shall perform all of the foregoing in accordance with and subject to all the terms, provisions, covenants and conditions of this Agreement.
(2) Without limiting the generality of any other term or condition of this Agreement, title to any Matter excavated or removed by the Lessee and not used at the Premises shall vest in the Lessee upon the excavation or removal thereof and all such Matter shall be delivered and deposited by the Lessee at the Lessee’s sole cost and expense to a location off the Airport in accordance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement and all Environmental Requirements. The entire proceeds, if any, of the sale or other disposition of the Matter shall belong to the Lessee.
(3) In the event the Lessee discovers any Hazardous Substance in, on or under the Premises, the Lessee in reporting such Hazardous Substance shall direct such report to the attention of such individual at the subject Governmental Authority as the General Manager of the Airport shall require in order to assure consistency in the environmental management of the Airport, provided, however, that notwithstanding the foregoing, in no event shall the Lessee be required by this paragraph (k)(3) to violate any Environmental Requirement.
(4) Promptly upon final disposition of any Hazardous Substance from the Premises or the Airport, the Lessee shall submit to the Port Authority a “Certification of Final Disposal” stating the type and amount of material disposed, the method of disposal and the owner and location of the disposal facility. The format of such certification shall follow the requirements, if any, of Governmental Agencies having jurisdiction, as if the Port Authority were a private organization but the name of the Port Authority shall not appear on any certificate or other document as a generator or owner of such material.