1. Rank, in order (from greatest to least), the amplitude of EMG electrical activity for each of
the items tested: carrot, egg, chewing gum.
1. Combos 2. Gum 3. Marshmallow
2. Compare the frequency of muscle activation during mastication (chewing) of the three food
items tested. Is there a significant difference in the number of similar spikes generated during
a 5 s interval of data collection for each of the items tested?
3. Compare rates of chewing within your lab group/class. Are there significant differences?
4. On the basis of the findings in this experiment what recommendation would you make to a
friend with a temporomandibular disorder (TMD) regarding his/her food choices?
He should try and eat softer foods to avoid clenching his jaw and having to work so hard to break down his food
5. The “Iron Jaw Trick” is a popular circus act in which a performer (or two performers) hang
from a trapeze by his/her teeth. What exercises might someone do to strengthen the masseter
muscles of the jaw so that a trick of this type could be performed successfully?
6. Chronic headaches and temperomandibular disorders (TMD) may be the result of