|THE WHITNEY LUXURY APARTMENT LEASE AGREEMENT
THIS LEASE (the "Lease") dated this _________ day of ___________________, 20____
HIGH COTTON DEVELOPMENT, LLC
(individually the “Party” and collectively the “Parties”)
IN CONSIDERATION OF the Landlord leasing certain premises to the Tenant and other valuable
consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which consideration is hereby acknowledged, the Parties agree
1. The Landlord agrees to rent to the Tenant the WHITNEY apartment, municipally described as Suite No. _____________ 96 Lumus Drive, Starkville, Mississippi 39759 (the "Property"), for use as residential premises only. Neither the Property nor any part of the Property will be used at any time during the term of this Lease by Tenant for the purpose of carrying on any business, profession, or trade of any kind, or for the purpose other than as a private single-family residence.
2. Subject to the provisions of this Lease, apart from the Tenant, no other persons will live in the
Property without the prior written permission of the Landlord.
3. No guests of the Tenants may occupy the Property for longer than one week without the prior written
consent of the Landlord.
4. No pets or animals are allowed to be kept in or about the Property. (See Exception page 9)
5. Subject to the provisions of this Lease, the Tenant is entitled to the use of parking on or about the
6. The Tenant and members of Tenant's household will not smoke anywhere inside the building nor permit any guests or visitors to smoke inside the building or corridors.
7. The Property is provided to the Tenant without any furnishings.
8. The term of the Lease is a periodic tenancy commencing ON ___________________, _20_______ and
terminating on _______________________ or until the Landlord terminates the lease for just cause.
9. Any notice to terminate this tenancy must comply with the applicable legislation of the State of
Mississippi (the "Act").
10. Subject to the provisions of this Lease, the rent for the Property is $_____________ payable per month in equal installments of $________________/mo. (the "Rent").
11. The Tenant will pay the Rent on or before the First of each and every month of the term of this Lease
to the Landlord at #122, Maison de Ville, Starkville, Mississippi 39759 or at such other place as the
Landlord may later designate.
12. The Tenant will be charged an additional amount of $10.00 per day for any Rent that is received after
the latter of the due date and the expiration of any grace period under the Act, if any.
13. On execution of this Lease, the Tenant will pay the Landlord a security deposit of $_______________ (the "Security Deposit"). (Reference attached deposit schedule)
14. The Landlord will hold the Security Deposit at an interest bearing account solely devoted to security
deposits at BANKFIRST located at Starkville, MS 39759.
15. The Landlord will return the Security Deposit at the end of this tenancy, less such deductions as
provided in this Lease, but no deduction will be made for damage due to reasonable wear and tear nor
for any deduction prohibited by the Act.
16. During the term of this Lease or after its termination, the Landlord may charge the Tenant or make
deductions from the Security Deposit for any or all of the following:
a. repair of walls due to plugs, large nails or any unreasonable number of holes in the walls
including the repainting of such damaged walls;
b. repainting required to repair the results of any other improper use or excessive damage by the
c. unplugging toilets, sinks and drains;
d. replacing damaged or missing doors, windows, screens, mirrors or light fixtures;
e. repairing cuts, burns, or water damage to linoleum, rugs, and other areas;
f. any other repairs or cleaning due to any damage beyond normal wear and tear caused or
permitted by the Tenant or by any person whom the Tenant is responsible for;
g. the cost of extermination where the Tenant or the Tenant's guests have brought or allowed
insects into the Property or building;
h. repairs and replacement required where windows are left open which have caused plumbing to
freeze, or rain or water damage to floors or walls;
i. replacement of locks and/or lost keys to the Property and any administrative fees associated
with the replacement as a result of the Tenant's misplacement of the keys; and
j. any other purpose allowed under this Lease or the Act.
For the purpose of this clause, the Landlord may charge the Tenant for professional cleaning and
repairs if the Tenant has not made alternate arrangements with the Landlord.
17. The Tenant may not use the Security Deposit as payment for the Rent.
18. Within the time period required by the Act and after the termination of this tenancy, the Landlord will
deliver or mail the Security Deposit less any proper deductions or with further demand for payment
to: ________________________________________________________, or at such other place as the
Tenant may advise.
19. The Landlord will return the Security Deposit at the end of this tenancy, (less such deductions as
provided in this Lease) but no deduction will be made for damage due to reasonable wear and tear nor
for any deduction prohibited by the Act.
20. The Guarantor, __________________________________ of #_____________,
__________________________________________________of ______________ _______, guarantees to the Landlord that the Tenant will comply with the Tenant's obligations under this Lease and agrees to
compensate the Landlord in full on demand for all liability resulting from any failure by the Tenant to
comply with any of the Tenant's obligations.
21. The Guarantor's obligations remain fully effective even if this Lease is disclaimed or the Landlord
gives the Tenant extra time to comply with any obligation or does not insist on strict compliance with
22. The Landlord covenants that on paying the Rent and performing the covenants contained in this
Lease, the Tenant will peacefully and quietly have, hold, and enjoy the Property for the agreed term.
23. The Parties will complete, sign and date an inspection report at the beginning and at the end of this
24. The Tenant will obtain written permission from the Landlord before doing any of the following:
a. applying adhesive materials, or inserting nails or hooks in walls or ceilings other than two small
picture hooks per wall;
b. painting, wallpapering, redecorating or in any way significantly altering the appearance of the
c. removing or adding walls, or performing any structural alterations;
d. installing a waterbed(s);
e. changing the amount of heat or power normally used on the Property as well as installing
additional electrical wiring or heating units;
f. placing or exposing or allowing to be placed or exposed anywhere inside or outside the Property
any placard, notice or sign for advertising or any other purpose; or
g. affixing to or erecting upon or near the Property any radio or TV antenna or tower.
Utilities and Other Charges
25. The Landlord is responsible for the payment of the following utilities and other charges in relation to
the Property: water/sewer and garbage collection.
26. The Tenant is responsible for the payment of the following utilities and other charges in relation to the
Property: electricity, internet, cable and telephone.
27. The Tenant is hereby advised and understands that the personal property of the Tenant is not insured
by the Landlord for either damage or loss, and the Landlord assumes no liability for any such loss.
28. In the event that any action is filed in relation to this Lease, the unsuccessful Party in the action will
pay to the successful Party, in addition to all the sums that either Party may be called on to pay, a
reasonable sum for the successful Party's attorney fees.
29. This Lease will be construed in accordance with and exclusively governed by the laws of the State of
30. If there is a conflict between any provision of this Lease and the Act, the Act will prevail and such
provisions of the Lease will be amended or deleted as necessary in order to comply with the Act.
Further, any provisions that are required by the Act are incorporated into this Lease.
31. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provisions of this Lease will not affect the validity or
enforceability of any other provision of this Lease. Such other provisions remain in full force and
Amendment of Lease
32. This Lease may only be amended or modified by a written document executed by the Parties.
Assignment and Subletting
33. The Tenant will not assign this Lease, or sublet or grant any concession or license to use the Property
or any part of the Property. Any assignment, subletting, concession, or license, whether by operation
of law or otherwise, will be void and will, at Landlord's option, terminate this Lease.
34. No pets are allowed at any time during the term of the lease. This includes dogs, cats, rodents, birds,
Damage to Property
35. If the Property should be damaged other than by the Tenant's negligence or willful act or that of the
Tenant's employee, family, agent, or visitor and the Landlord decides not to rebuild or repair the
Property, the Landlord may end this Lease by giving appropriate notice.
36. The Tenant will, at its sole expense, keep and maintain the Property and appurtenances in good and
sanitary condition and repair during the term of this Lease and any renewal of this Lease.
37. Major maintenance and repair of the Property involving anticipated or actual costs in excess of
$100.00 per incident not due to the Tenant's misuse, waste, or neglect or that of the Tenant's
employee, family, agent, or visitor, will be the responsibility of the Landlord or the Landlord's
38. The Tenant will also perform the following maintenance in respect to the Property: Balconies must be
maintained and no clothing, trash, signs, flags, or any other personal belongings shall be left on
balconies. Tenant covenants that no more than four people (800 lb maximum) shall ever be on balconies at the same time.
Care and Use of Property
39. The Tenant will promptly notify the Landlord of any damage, or of any situation that may
significantly interfere with the normal use of the Property or to any furnishings supplied by the
40. The Tenant will not engage in any illegal trade or activity on or about the Property.
41. The Parties will comply with standards of health, sanitation, fire, housing and safety as required by
42. The Parties will use reasonable efforts to maintain the Property in such a condition as to prevent the
accumulation of moisture and the growth of mold. The Tenant will promptly notify the Landlord in
writing of any moisture accumulation that occurs or of any visible evidence of mold discovered by the
Tenant. The Landlord will promptly respond to any such written notices from the Tenant.
43. If the Tenant is absent from the Property and the Property is unoccupied for a period of 10 consecutive
days or longer, the Tenant will arrange for regular inspection by a competent person. The Landlord
will be notified in advance as to the name, address and phone number of the person doing the
44. At the expiration of the term of this Lease, the Tenant will quit and surrender the Property in as good
a state and condition as they were at the commencement of this Lease, reasonable use and wear and
45. The Tenant will not keep or have on the Property any article or thing of a dangerous, flammable, or
explosive character that might unreasonably increase the danger of fire on the Property or that might
be considered hazardous by any responsible insurance company.
Rules and Regulations
46. The Tenant will obey all rules and regulations of the Landlord regarding the Property.
48. If any dispute relating to this Lease between the Parties is not resolved through informal discussion
within 14 days from the date a dispute arises, the Parties agree to first submit the issue before a mediator.
The decision of the mediator will not be binding on the Parties. Any mediator must be a neutral party
acceptable to both Parties. The cost of any mediation will be paid by the Tenant.
Address for Notice
49. For any matter relating to this tenancy, the Tenant may be contacted at the Property or through the
phone number below. After this tenancy has been terminated, the contact information of the Tenant
a. Name: __________________________________.
b. Phone: __________________________________.
c. Email: __________________________________.
d. Post termination notice address:
50. For any matter relating to this tenancy, whether during or after this tenancy has been terminated, the
Guarantor's address for notice is:
a. Name: __________________________________.
b. Address: #_____________, __________________________________________________,
__________________________________________________, (zip) _______________________.
51. For any matter relating to this tenancy, whether during or after this tenancy has been terminated, the
Landlord's address for notice is:
a. Name: HIGH COTTON DEVELOPMENT, LLC.
b. Address: #122, Maison de Ville, Starkville, Mississippi 39759.
The contact information for the Property Manager of the Landlord is:
c. Name: John Hartlein.
d. Phone: 601-259-0328.
e. Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
52. All monetary amounts stated or referred to in this Lease are based in the United States dollar.
53. Any waiver by the Landlord of any failure by the Tenant to perform or observe the provisions of this
Lease will not operate as a waiver of the Landlord's rights under this Lease in respect of any
subsequent defaults, breaches or non-performance and will not defeat or affect in any way the
Landlord's rights in respect of any subsequent default or breach.
54. This Lease will extend to and be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the respective heirs,
executors, administrators, successors and assigns, as the case may be, of each Party. All covenants are
to be construed as conditions of this Lease.
55. All sums payable by the Tenant to the Landlord pursuant to any provision of this Lease will be
deemed to be additional rent and will be recovered by the Landlord as rental arrears.
56. Where there is more than one Tenant executing this Lease, all Tenants are jointly and severally liable
for each other's acts, omissions and liabilities pursuant to this Lease.
57. Locks may not be added or changed without the prior written agreement of both Parties, or unless the
changes are made in compliance with the Act.
58. The Tenant will be charged an additional amount of $25.00 for each N.S.F. check or checks returned
by the Tenant's financial institution.
59. Headings are inserted for the convenience of the Parties only and are not to be considered when
interpreting this Lease. Words in the singular mean and include the plural and vice versa. Words in
the masculine mean and include the feminine and vice versa.
60. This Lease and the Tenant's leasehold interest under this Lease are and will be subject, subordinate,
and inferior to any liens or encumbrances now or hereafter placed on the Property by the Landlord, all
advances made under any such liens or encumbrances, the interest payable on any such liens or
encumbrances, and any and all renewals or extensions such liens or encumbrances.
61. This Lease may be executed in counterparts. Facsimile signatures are binding and are considered to be
62. This Lease constitutes the entire agreement between the Parties. Any prior understanding or
representation of any kind preceding the date of this Lease will not be binding on either Party except
to the extent incorporated in this Lease.
63. The Tenant will indemnify and save the Landlord, and the owner of the Property where different from
the Landlord, harmless from all liabilities, fines, suits, claims, demands and actions of any kind or
nature for which the Landlord will or may become liable or suffer by reason of any breach, violation
or non-performance by the Tenant or by any person for whom the Tenant is responsible, of any
covenant, term, or provisions hereof or by reason of any act, neglect or default on the part of the
Tenant or other person for whom the Tenant is responsible. Such indemnification in respect of any
such breach, violation or non-performance, damage to property, injury or death occurring during the
term of the Lease will survive the termination of the Lease, notwithstanding anything in this Lease to
64. The Tenant agrees that the Landlord will not be liable or responsible in any way for any personal
injury or death that may be suffered or sustained by the Tenant or by any person for whom the Tenant
is responsible who may be on the Property of the Landlord or for any loss of or damage or injury to
any property, including cars and contents thereof belonging to the Tenant or to any other person for
whom the Tenant is responsible.
65. The Tenant is responsible for any person or persons who are upon or occupying the Property or any
other part of the Landlord's premises at the request of the Tenant, either express or implied, whether
for the purposes of visiting the Tenant, making deliveries, repairs or attending upon the Property for
any other reason. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Tenant is responsible for all
members of the Tenant's family, guests, servants, tradesmen, repairmen, employees, agents, invitees
or other similar persons.
66. Time is of the essence in this Lease.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF JOHN W. HARTLEIN, Manager, HIGH COTTON DEVELOPMENT, LLC have
duly affixed their signatures on this _________ day of _____________________, 20________.
The Tenant acknowledges receiving a duplicate copy of this Lease signed by the Tenant and the Landlord
on the _______________ day of ______________________, 20____.
1 Bedroom $500.00
2 Bedroom $800.00 – ($400 per each tenant)
Application Deposit $25.00 – Per each Tenant
Final Cleaning Fees - Non Refundable (Withheld from Security Deposit)
1 Bedroom $200.00
2 Bedroom $275.00
Suites located on the 3rd and 4th floors shall be kept clean of clothing, trash, signage and any other articles
considered an eye sore in the sole opinion of landlord. Small electric or propane table top grills (16”x24”
or less) may be stored and used by tenant provided their size does not exceed this specification.
Charcoal grills or smokers are strictly PROHIBITED. Fryers or “Fry Daddy’s are also Prohibited on
Balconies. Throwing of any objects off balconies including cigarettes butts is Prohibited.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS TO LEASE
Under special circumstances and in consideration of a one time NON REFUNDABLE FEE of One Thousand USD ($1000.00), the lessee may have the right to boarding one (1) dog OR one (1) cat in its Suite provided the animal does not become a nuisance to the property or other tenants. Landlord’s decision to terminate this Special Condition provision shall be final and without cause.
Accepted by _____________________________________________________________
Accepted by _____________________________________________________________