COURSE TITLE & NUMBER: Chairside Assisting 1: DAS1512
CREDITS: 3 ( 2 Lec / 1 Lab)
Chairside Assisting 1 is an introduction to the dental operatory, equipment, and materials. It provides general background knowledge and skill development for the basics of all assisting in general dentistry. Also included are endodontic and oral surgery. This course is a prerequisite for Chairside Assisting 2.
17. identify controlled field options (6 methods).
18. demonstrate controlled field options (6 methods).
19. assist with patient exam.
20 identify amalgam instruments.
21. prepare handpiece for bur.
22. identify rotary burs.
23. identify amalgam procedure.
24. demonstrate amalgam procedure.
25. identify amalgam materials.
26. identify mercury OSHA rules.
27. demonstrate mercury safety rules.
28. demonstrate amalgam restoration clean-up.
29. identify liners, bases, and cements.
30. demonstrate liners, bases, and cements.
31. state zinc phosphate composition.
32. demonstrate zinc phosphate manipulation.
33. state ZOE composition.
34. demonstrate ZOE manipulation.
35. state polycarboxylate composition.
36. demonstrate polycarboxylate manipulation.
37. state glass ionomer composition.
38. demonstrate glass ionomer manipulation.
39. identify dental charting symbols.
40. demonstrate dental charting.
41. identify anesthetics.
42. assist in anesthetic injections.
43. identify cavity classifications.
44. demonstrate Tofflemire matrix.
45. identify composite materials.
46. demonstrate composite tray setup.
47. demonstrate composite procedure.
48. demonstrate composite cleanup.
MNTC GOALS AND COMPETENCIES MET:
HCC COMPETENCIES MET:
Working Productively and Cooperatively
Communicating Clearly and Effectively
Thinking Creatively and Critically
Attendance is crucial in this class. The student is expected to attend all lectures and working sessions, participate in class activities, participate and implement input into class discussions, and hand in outside assignments when due.
STUDENT ASSESSMENT SHALL TAKE PLACE USING INSTRUMENTS SELECTED/DEVELOPED BY THE COURSE INSTRUCTOR.
SPECIAL INFORMATION: (SPECIAL FEES, DIRECTIVES ON HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, TEXTOOK USED, ETC.)
AASC APPROVAL DATE: February 14, 2013
REVIEW DATE: February 2018
DAS1512 Hibbing Community College, a technical & community college, is