Guidance Sheet Guidance for Adaptation Period In order to work in the uk you will need

Download 9.04 Kb.
Date conversion13.01.2017
Size9.04 Kb.

Guidance Sheet

Guidance for Adaptation Period

In order to work in the UK you will need:

  1. To be registered with the GDC

The GDC allow for EA member countries to be assessed to work in the UK. Part of this assessment may offer an adaptation period in order for the applicant to then register as a full GDC registrant. The conditions under which this is given are that the recipient must first find work which will give them the experience required to satisfy the GDC highlighted area of need. You will also need to have agreement from a dental hygienist, therapist or dentist to supervise those highlighted parts of the adaptation period.

The adaptation period must meet the following criteria set by the GDC:

  • To undergo an adaptation period, the person must be registered with the GDC. This registration will be given when a suitable place of work and supervision is agreed on. The GDC will set relevant conditions on this registration applicable as a result of an assessment of the applicant’s qualifications and professional experience.

  • An adaptation period can be recommended for a minimum of 1 month and a maximum of 2 years.

  • An adaptation period must be full time.

  • The person undergoing the adaptation period may receive a salary.

  • A registered dental professional must directly supervise the person undergoing the adaptation period.

  • At the end of the adaptation period the supervising registrant must provide a report to the GDC. The information in the report will help inform the Council whether or not to register the applicant, providing false or misleading details in the report could lead to the supervisor being charged with professional misconduct.

  • An adaptation period should not be used for the purpose of service cover or for any other purpose other than identified in this document.

Other than the areas highlighted in the assessment a dental hygienist can carry out anything they have been trained and are competent to do. Therefore they can carry out a complete range of their skills within their remit. The only areas being assessed are the highlighted ones in the GDC assessment.

  1. Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks - all dental hygienists will need to have a criminal record check before being allowed to work in UK. This can be applied for through the practice you are to work in. they may need to also use the overseas checks too.

  1. Indemnity. You will need to have professional indemnity before working on patients. This requirement is part of the GDC Standards. Indemnity providers are

    1. Dental Protection (DPL)

    2. Dental Defence Union (DDU)

    3. The Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland (MDDUS)

(April 2016)

BSDHT, Smile House, 2a East Union Street, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV22 6AJ

01788 575050 | |

The database is protected by copyright © 2016
send message

    Main page