General information

Download 52.01 Kb.
Date conversion01.02.2017
Size52.01 Kb.

The University of Copenhagen (UCPH)

Last update: January 2014

Fact Sheet for application procedure 2014-2015 for exchange students according to bilateral exchange agreements


Email address for exchange students

Website for exchange-related information

For students:

  • Prior to admission

  • Upon admission:

For partner universities (online nomination procedure):

Postal address

University of Copenhagen

University Education Services

International Education and Grants

Noerregade 10

DK-1165 Copenhagen


Visiting address

University of Copenhagen Student Centre

Fiolstraede 1

DK-1171 Copenhagen


Inbound Mobility Team

Name: Sara Lunde Dinesen, Admission Officer and Senior Advisor

Phone: +45 35 32 37 92

Name: Katja Pietras Nielsen, Admission Officer and Senior Advisor

Phone: +45 35 32 39 01

Name: Bente Pedersen, Admission Officer

Phone: +45 35 32 39 07

Name: Rikke Mosegaard Hansen, Transcript Officer

Phone: +45 35 32 39 02



Deadlines for application

Spring semester: 1st October

Autumn semester: 1st May

Nomination and application procedure

Partner universities must nominate their students online,

The International Office processes the online nomination from the partner university and sends an invitation to apply online to the student’s email address. The students receive a pin code which they need to access the on-line application. They can save a draft of the application and access it by logging on again later to complete the application. The students will be guided through the process while on-line, and they can upload the required supporting material on-line as well.

The students upload document(s), fill in the application form and send it online.
A complete online application must include all the requested documents.
PLEASE NOTE THAT NOMINATION IS NOT EQUAL TO ADMISSION. Once the online application has been completed and sent to us, we check data and documents and forward applications to the relevant departments for assessment.
Upon receipt of the assessment reply/replies from the department(s), the admission procedure will be finalised and the students will be informed by email if they have been accepted.

Proof of English language proficiency – for non-native English speakers

For studies in English/American Language and Culture:
We require one of the following tests:
Toefl Internet-based: minimum score: 80
Toefl Computer-based: minimum score: 213
Toefl Paper-based: minimum score: 550
IELTS: minimum score: 6.0
Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): minimum score: B
Cambridge Proficiency in English (CPE): minimum score: C

For studies in Film & Media Studies, Education, Rhetoric, Philosophy and Library and Information Science:
We require one of the above mentioned tests. However, the departments are also willing to consider institutional tests or statements regarding the students’ English proficiency issued by the home university.

All other subjects
For all other subjects there is no requirement for proof of English language proficiency for exchange students.

Supporting documents

  • Transcript*

  • Proof of English proficiency (NB - only necessary if you apply for one or more of the subjects mentioned above)

Transcript* and Proof of English proficiency should be uploaded in the online application. We do not accept hard copies sent by mail.

As a general rule we accept documents in Danish, English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish and Norwegian. However, in some instances it might be necessary to have an English translation. Translations must be approved by the home university.

Please note that we have no use for hard copies of documents pertaining to the students’ agreement for their home university.

*We accept unofficial transcripts from the electronic registrar system of the home university provided that it includes the student’s name and the name of the home university.

Faculties open to exchange students

The 6 faculties at the University of Copenhagen:
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences

Faculty of Humanities

Faculty of Law

Faculty of Science

Faculty of Social Sciences

Faculty of Theology

Fields not offered by the University of Copenhagen

Business, Accounting, Financing, Marketing, Management, Engineering, Design, Architecture.

Please note that in Denmark, performing art programmes are typically offered by specialised colleges or academies. Please enquire in case of doubts:

Fields not open for exchange students

Courses in English within the Master degree programme Cognition and Communication offered by the Department of Media, Cognition and Communication.

What students should be aware of

Keep an eye on the spam folder of your email account. If you have not received the invitation after 3 days upon nomination, write to
You cannot select courses in the online application. You select subjects (up to 5). Please note that the order of priority is not significant – all selected subjects in an online application will be assessed on an individual basis.
Course selection and deadlines for registration. Generally, courses offered in English are announced 6-8 weeks prior to semester start. Information on courses, deadlines for registration and a guide to the online course catalogue can be found on this website
Do you have dual citizenship? If a student has dual citizenship, and this includes an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, please tick-off the relevant European country in the box for citizenship. Otherwise, you will receive residence permit papers you do not need.
Do not send hard copies of documents or online application by post.
Courses designed particularly for international students across disciplines – indicate your wish to take a Danish language Course, a Danish Culture Course, one or more of the general courses within Social Sciences, etc. in the Study Description of the online application – do NOT select a subject to match such a course. These courses do not require academic assessment - you sign up close to semester start or upon arrival.

Electronic admission package

Upon receipt of assessment reply(ies) from the relevant department(s) the International Office can finalise the admission procedure.
Students will receive an electronic admission package by e-mail. For Non-Nordic and Non-EU/EEA students the admission package also includes the ST1 application form for a residence permit. Pages 1-10 are to be filled in by the student, pages 11-13 are filled in, signed and stamped by the International Office.

The home universities will also receive a full copy of the admission package by e-mail.


Courses offered in English

Information on courses offered in English is available 6-8 weeks prior to semester start.


We advise students to make a preliminary plan based on previous course offers and adjust the plan when the course catalogue is announced, if necessary.


Students and student advisors are most welcome to contact the academic advisors at the

relevant departments at the University of Copenhagen for advice on course selection - please find information here:

Within certain fields, few or no courses are offered in English at undergraduate level. Some departments are willing to accept exchange students in their last year of an undergraduate programme at their home university for courses offered at graduate level at the University of Copenhagen. Please note that in certain courses there are a limited number of places for exchange students.

Medicine, Dentistry and Public Health are not available for exchange students unless they are nominated according to agreement with the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences.
Within other fields some courses in English at undergraduate level are offered, but please note that the range of courses and levels may differ from one semester to the next.

Danish language courses

The University of Copenhagen offers a pre-semester (in August or January) Danish language course free of charge for exchange students (Danish language courses are not open to students from Iceland, Sweden and Norway). In addition, Danish language courses are offered during the semesters. Danish language courses are optional.
Web site:

Course load, credit system and UCPH Transcript

The European Credit Transfer System defines a full study load for one year as 60 ECTS credits. Students are expected to take on 30 ECTS credits per semester. According to the agreements between the University of Copenhagen and our partner universities abroad the number of ECTS credits per semester must not exceed 30 ECTS.

Non-Nordic and Non-EU/EEA students should be aware that their residence permit is dependent upon a full time study load of 30 ECTS per semester.
All passed grades will be put on the student’s transcript of academic records which will be sent in hard copy to his/her home university approximately 8 weeks after the semester has ended.


Academic Calendar

The most recent up-date of the Academic Calendar is available on our web site
Please note that dates, breaks etc. may differ from one department to another and from year to year. Therefore, students must always contact the relevant department directly; for precise information.


Residence Permit for studies in Denmark for Nordic students

If you are a Nordic citizen (Iceland, Finland, Norway or Sweden), you do not need a residence permit. However, if you are staying for more than 6 months, your need to register with the Danish authorities. For more information about moving within the Nordic countries, please see the web site
Work Permit.
Students from the Scandinavian countries will not need a work permit for regular student jobs.

Residence Permit for studies in Denmark for EU/EEA students

If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you will need a residence permit, if you are staying in Denmark for more than three months. In the beginning of each semester staff from the Regional State Administration (Statsforvaltningen) will be at the University of Copenhagen and process applications on the spot. Students will receive more information on the specific dates and procedures.
Bring your passport or ID-card, two colour copies of passport/ID-card, one passport photo and your ‘letter of admission’ when you apply.

Students can also obtain the residence permit directly at the State Regional Administration. Note that it may take up to three weeks for the Regional State Administration to process your application and issue your residence permit. You need to obtain your residence permit before you can register with the Danish Civil Registration Office/Borgerservice and be covered by Danish Health Security,

Work Permit.
Students from EU member states will not need a work permit for regular student jobs.

Residence Permit for studies in Denmark for non-EU/EEA students

Non-EU/EEA students who are citizens of other countries than the EU/EEA or Nordic countries need a residence permit to study in Denmark.

Along with the letter of admission from University of Copenhagen, the student will receive an application form called ST1 as well as instruction on how to apply for the residence permit. Students cannot apply for a residence permit until after they have received the letter of admission and the ST1.

Detailed information on how to enter Denmark:

The application
The application process for a residence permit usually takes a considerable length of time (2-3 months). Students should start the application process immediately upon receipt of the letter of admission and the ST1. For information on how to apply for the residence permit students must contact the Danish consulate or embassy in their country, or affiliated with their country. Students can usually find the information they need on the websites of these authorities.
Find the relevant embassy or general consulate: - “Find us abroad”

The Danish Immigration Service, Copenhagen:

Application fee

Prior to submitting an application for the residence permit, students must create a case order ID online and pay a fee online according to the guidelines from The Danish Immigration Service,

Please make sure that any possible bank fees in connection with the transfer are added to the amount and not deducted from it. If full payment is not received, the residence permit application will not be processed. It is therefore essential for the processing of the application that students ensure that the full amount reaches The Danish Immigration Service. For information on the current fee please see here:
The fee will be raised once a year, usually in January. Therefore we recommend that students from visa free countries pay the fee the same calendar year as they are turning in the ST1 application. Otherwise, they risk rejection by the Danish Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment.

The embassy or consulate processing the application may require payment of additional fees.


The embassy/general consulate is not responsible for checking the application and the enclosures. Nor is the embassy/general consulate responsible for checking that students have created the Case Order ID and paid the fee. This will not be checked until the ST1 application is received by the Danish Immigration Service in Copenhagen.

Non-EU/EEA students who have applied late and are still under assessment for some subjects (while accepted for others) and are urgently in need of a resident permit must contact us and ask us to issue an acceptance package on the basis of assessment reply/replies received so far.

Financial documentation
The Danish Immigration Authorities requires documentation of your ability to support yourself financially during the length of your stay. You must be prepared to provide documentation, for example from your bank, verifying that you have the equivalent of DKK 4,200 per month during your intended stay. 

Biometric Features
All non-EU citizens over the age of 18 applying for residence permits under the terms of the Aliens Act must have their biometric features recorded.

Individuals who submit an application at a Danish embassy or consulate abroad must submit it in person and will have their biometric features recorded at that time.

Individuals who submit an application at another country’s embassy or consulate, such as a Norwegian or Swedish consulate which has agreed to process Danish applications, will be required to have biometric features recorded after arriving in Denmark.

Individuals who submit their application at the Immigration Service/Agency for Labour Retention and International Recruitment in Denmark will have their biometric features recorded at that time. This only applies to applicants who can enter Denmark legally without a visa or residence permit, i.e. citizens from visa free countries.

Further information on residence cards with biometric features:

In addition, please be referred to our web site:

Work Permit:
Non-EU/EEA and non-Nordic students are allowed to work in Denmark, 15 hours a week from September to May and 37 hours a week from June to August. Permit for this extent of work is automatically granted with the residence permit. 

Further information on residence cards with biometric features:

In addition, please be referred to our web site:


The UPCH Housing Foundation at the University of Copenhagen

Students who complete their online application for the University of Copenhagen (UCPH) in due time will receive an invitation to apply online for housing from the UCPH Housing Foundation,

All inquries concerning housing should be directed at the Housing Foundation.

The database is protected by copyright © 2016
send message

    Main page