Extension: Family Genetics You and Your Parents



Download 43.04 Kb.
Date conversion28.06.2018
Size43.04 Kb.

Learning from the Fossil Record

Grade 8 Science


Name: Amanda Barry

Date: February 7, 2011



Extension: Family Genetics

You and Your Parents



Male



X

Female

Name: Kyle

Name: Amanda

Male

Father

Mother




Female

Father

Mother

Hair Color

Brown

BB

Black


Brown

BB




Blonde

bb

Blonde

bb

Light Brown

Bb

Eye Color

Hazel

Bb

Hazel

Bb

Blue

bb




Green

Bb

Blue

bb

Brown

BB

Tongue Rolling

Yes

TT

Yes

TT

Yes

TT




No

tt

No

tt

Yes

Tt

Possible Children

Traits

Possible Genotypes and Phenotypes

Hair Color

100% chance light brown or dirty blonde (4-Bb)

Eye Color

25% chance Brown (1-BB), 50% chance green/hazel (2-Bb), 25% chance blue(1-bb)

Tongue Rolling

100% rolling tongue (Tt)

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!?

Because…



Dominant: Recessive: Incomplete:

Brown Hair, non red Blonde Hair Dirty Blonde/Light Brown Brown Blue Green/Hazel



Tongue Rolling Can’t n/a

This all is possible because of the combinations of the genotypes.

  • Kyle has Brown hair (BB) from his mom, if it is combined with Blonde hair (bb), which came from both my Mom and Dad (mostly my dad), the only result would be Bb. That equals light brown/dirty blonde hair. Therefore, every single child would have light brown/dirty blonde hair.

  • Kyle has Hazel eyes (Bb), like his dad (Bb) but his mom has blue (bb), I have green eyes that can change to hazel (Bb), I got incomplete dominance because my mom has dominant (BB-brown) and my dad has recessive (bb-blue). There is a 25% chance for the child to have Brown (BB), 50% chance to have hazel/green (Bb), or 25% chance to have blue eyes(bb). These are because our genes, when combined, come out to these results. View Punet Square above labeled “eyes”.

  • Kyle can roll his tongue, which is the dominant trait. Both his Mom and Dad can roll their tongues. I cannot roll my tongue, neither can my dad (tt) but my mom can (Tt), she has to be heterozygous for this trait because she had to give me the recessive trait. So since Kyle has dominant (TT), the child can roll their tongue 100%. His two dominant traits—guarantee that one dominant against my one recessive will overpower—gives the child the capability to roll their tongue.

Rubric:

  1. Determine the phenotypes each of the people listed above have and fill in the chart.

0 1 2 3

  1. Analyze the phenotypes to determine the possible genotypes of each of the people listed above and add them to the chart with the phenotype.

0 1 2 3

  1. Assume the male and female have a child. Determine the possible genotypes and phenotypes they could have.

0 1 2 3

  1. Show your thinking for the data filled in the chart and the possible children’s genotypes and phenotypes by explaining your thinking.

0 1 2 3


The database is protected by copyright ©dentisty.org 2016
send message

    Main page