Desired Outcome: Room preparation is thorough and accurate including all necessary instruments and materials. Tooth preparation is completed by a skilled and caring team of professionals. Patient is comfortable throughout the procedure and satisfied with the results. The crown fits properly and meets all clinical standards.
Measurement: Feedback from the doctor, staff, and patient is positive regarding the above desired outcomes. The crown is fully functional and stays in place. The number of times the assistant must leave the room to obtain supplies or instruments.
1. Set up the following supplies and instruments for this procedure:
1. Professionally and warmly greet and seat the pediatric patient.
2. Place the bib on the patient and put on the appropriate personal protective equipment.
3. Review the day’s scheduled treatment and the health history form with the parent and make any necessary changes to the patient’s chart. Pull up current X-Rays.
4. Inform the doctor the patient is ready and review the chart together.
5. Assist the Hygienist/Doctor with the local anesthesia.
6. When patient is numb, assist the doctor in preparing the tooth.
7. If necessary, assist the doctor by placing appropriate tooth medication (In- Direct Pulp/Direct Pulp).
8. Try stainless steel crown with doctor to get the correct size.
9. Pass the stainless steel crown to the doctor and assist with adjusting fit. Have crown and bridge scissors available to adjust crown length.
10. Once the fit has been adjusted, assist doctor with establishing occlusion. Have articulating paper and holder available and pass back and forth accordingly.
11. Prepare cement and mix. Fill the stainless steel crown 2/3 full with cement and pass to the doctor for seating. Have patient bite on the bite stick.
12. Have patient bite on cotton roll until cement is cured and ready for removal.
13. Assist doctor with removing excess cement.
14. Give the patient instructions on how to care for the stainless steel crown.
A. No sticky foods, candy.
B. Show patient how to correctly floss around the stainless steel crown.
15. Escort the patient to the front desk and inform the patient, parent and scheduling receptionist of their next appointment if applicable.
16. Complete the necessary documentation in the patient’s chart.
17. Clean and prepare the room for the next patient