|Medical University- Varna
Faculty of Dental Medicine
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
Academic Year 2013/2014
Definition of the term of oral prophylaxis, aim, types, forms, strategy directions.
Complex program for prophylaxis of oral diseases.
Etiology of tooth decay. Specifics of etiological factors concerning permanent dentition.
Pathogenesis of tooth decay- theories, contemporary conception.
Etiology of tooth decay- role of enamel and saliva.
Etiology of tooth decay- role of microorganisms.
Etiology of tooth decay- role of carbohydrates and time.
Dental plaque- structure, control and activities into plaque’s bio-film.
Dental pellicle- content, functions.
10. Genesis of dental plaque- stages of plaque formation.
11. Types of dental plaque- characteristics, pathogeneous potential, contemporary strategies for confinement of plaque bio-film.
12. Processes of de- and re-mineralization into enamel- dissolubility into acids, dissociation of hydroxile-apatite structures. Re-mineralization- conditions for proper realization. Post-eruptive mineralization.
13. Hysto-morphological changes into enamel tissue by decay process.
14. Hysto-morphological changes into dentin tissue by decay process.
15. Oral hygiene- methods and means of assessment- oral-hygiene indexes. Motivation.
16. Oral hygiene-methods and means of realization. Methods of teeth brushing, ingredients of tooth pastes and solutions for rinsing. Types of oral hygiene means.
17. Endogeneous fluorides’ prophylaxis- metabolism of fluorides, mechanism of influence during formation of tooth structures, toxicology of fluoride substances.
18. Endogeneous fluorides’ prophylaxis- methods of endogeneous consumption, forms, optimal dose, dental fluorosis.
19. Exogeneous fluorides’ prophylaxis- levels of topical influence of fluorides, mechanisms of activity by low and high concentrations of fluorides’ ions.
20. Exogeneous fluorides’ prophylaxis- methods, means and forms.
21. Preventive sealing of fissures- indications, types of sealants.
22. Preventive sealing of fissures- differential diagnosis between superficial caries lesion and deep fissure. Technique of realization the procedure of sealant application.
23. Alimentary prophylaxis- role of proteins, minerals and vitamins.
24. Alimentary prophylaxis- role of carbohydrates. Alimentary regime.
25. Alimentary prophylaxis- bases of proper nutrition habits, main groups of products, caries-provoking potential.
26. Preventive non-operative treatment- indications, contemporary means for realization, principles.
27. Caries risk assessment- definition, main factors, degrees of risk profiles. Types of methods for risk assessment.
28. Risk assessment of periodontal diseases at child’s age; factors of risk. Principles of preparation of a complex of criteria for assessment of risk for periodontal diseases.
29. Oral health promotion- strategies, motivation, modification of health-oriented behaviour.
30. Health-oriented education and upbringing- aim, methods, programs, groups.
31. Early childhood caries- prevention, risk factors.
32. Oral prophylaxis by children needing specific cares.
/ Assoc. Prof. N. Markova, PhD/