From Brady’s First Responder (8th Edition)
1. How many bones are found in each wrist?
2. Which should NOT be done when treating a patient with a
A.) Apply a splint to the injured leg
3. Which of the following is NOT a way to test the lower
*A.) Foot grasp
4. Which of the following is NOT a primary force that causes
5. Where should padding be placed when splinting an arm with
6. Which should NOT be done when assess an unresponsive
*A.) Probe palms with sharp object
7. How many people are usually needed to apply a splint with
8. What should be done to immobilize a lower extremity
A.) Immobilize it above and below the injury
9. What can the Emergency Medical Responder use to care for
B.) Air splint
10. How many people should be used to remove a helmet?
11. What should you treat any injury caused by a strong force
12. What is often a key sign of injury to the upper arm bone?
13. What is caused by overexerting or tearing of a muscle?
14. Where may the patient hold an injured arm?
A.) Down at the side
15. Which of the following should NOT be done with wrist or
*A.) Apply manual traction
16. Which of the following may be a sign of a head injury and
*A.) Paralysis to one side of the body
17. Where should the cold pack be placed if the patient
A.) Just below the injury
18. Which type of splint should be used for injuries to the
A.) Traction splint
19. Where should the second rescuer place his hands when
A.) At the angle of the jaw and under the chin
20. What can result from pressure on nerves caused by swelling
*A.) Numbness or tingling
21. Which is fractured with the boot-top injury?
22. Which is a late sign of a head injury?
A.) CSF leakage
23. Which is an ideal situation when the patient is wearing a
A.) Leave helmet on and remove shoulder pads
24. Where should the rigid splint be on the patient's leg when
A.) Below the knee to above the foot
25. Which of the following will provide some pain relief but
A.) Hangar splint
26. What is the main reason for straightening closed deformed
A.) Minimize additional fractures
27. How should the infant's head be held when you suspect head
A.) With your elbow
28. Which of the following is NOT a sign of an open head
A.) Clear or yellow fluid leaking from the nose
29. What is often times the only symptoms of most
30. Which of the following should you be able to do for the
A.) Apply traction to the head and neck
31. What should be immobilized when treating a patient with
A.) Only the injury site
32. What should be placed in the patient's hand to maintain a
A.) Pen or pencil
33. Which should be focused on last when caring for injuries?
A.) Provide care for shock
34. What is the last thing that should be done when caring for
A.) Administer oxygen
35. Which is NOT a location that you should tie a cravat when
A.) At the ankles
36. What are the bones that form the upright axis of the body?
*A.) Axial skeleton
37. Which type of helmet provides head protection if it fits
A.) Full-size motorcycle helmet
38. Where should you place yourself when manually stabilizing
A.) At the patient's feet
39. Which should NOT be done before removing a helmet?
*A.) Cut the chin strap
40. How many cravats should be prepared when applying a soft
41. Which of the following is the only movable joint in the
42. Which of the following is NOT protected by the lower ribs?
43. What does checking for sensation and motor function give
A.) The bones
44. Which of the following should you wait for more advanced
45. What position should the elbow be immobilized in when
A.) Position of function
46. What do injuries to the shoulder often produce?
*A.) Anterior dislocation
47. Which type of splint is more effective for injuries to the
A.) Rigid splint
48. Which type of splinting is preferred if the elbow is found
49. What action is taken when performing manual traction while
50. Which will maintain traction after it is secured to the
A.) Mobile splint
51. What material is the more commonly used inflatable splint
52. What should be done with the knee when a suspected
A.) Straighten the leg to reduce swelling
53. Where will the injury site most often be when the patient
A.) Front of the chest
54. Where will the blanket roll be placed when treating a
A.) On top of the legs