Friendship, Empire and Americus dental labs handle the Dental School’s fixed and removable prosthodontic cases.
Microdental Lab may be used for involved esthetic cases.
Please make sure all necessary information is present in the prescription for the lab to complete the case. Residents sign the prescription and then it must be countersigned by the attending faculty.
Laboratory prescriptions must also have the signature of the office manager in order to ensure that a minimum of 50% payment was made. The lab will not process the case without these signatures, nor will they do so without the patient name and chart number.
Any laboratory prescription involving new technology products and an alternative laboratory should be approved by the Director.
The Dental School is moving towards an electronic lab tracking system which the AEGD program is testing. Access Axium Links for up-to-date information.
DENTAL LAB CASES
1. All lab work for AEGD department is submitted to the Dental School in-house labs. This work will be routed to an outside lab. Any case that needs to be glazed and polished will be completed in the in-house lab.
Lab pans are used to store active lab cases going to removable and fixed labs. When the case is delivered, please empty and return the lab pan. All old models, impressions, yellow and white prescription forms should be thrown away.
3. The AEGD department uses the Dental School prescription form. All copies should be attached to the lab pan. All cases must be signed out before going to the dental labs (4:00 pm on prior day).
4. All impression, wax and metal try-in’s must be disinfected before going to the labs and indicated on prescription form.
5. Cases that are ready to be sent to the lab, should be placed in bags and left on the lab cart inside the clinic conference room #2312.
6. All lab cases must be signed by a faculty member and the office manager, prior to being sent out to the lab.
7. Fixed, Remo and Ortho lab cases are delivered and picked up once a day at approximately 9 a.m.
8. Incoming lab cases are signed in; then placed on the lab cart inside the clinic conference room #2312.
9. To expedite the process of having your case returned to you as quickly as possible, please be sure to include the date forward, the date of return, and the clinic’s letters (AEGD) on your prescription form. Also, start your day count for your case to be returned on the next working day. Don’t forget to exclude holidays and clinic closings.
10. Mr. Rick Baier is the Dental School’s Prosthodontics Lab Supervisor.
11. Name and date all study models.
12. Check your lab shelf at least twice a day, every day for returned lab cases for dies that need to be trimmed, MD Bridge designs, RPD designs, etc.
13. Prepare for patients who may need lab work at their next appointment by checking your patient schedule, and their charts at least 2 days prior to their next appointment.
Note that impressions MUST be properly disinfected and bagged prior to delivery to the labs. The laboratory form must be labeled “disinfected”.
Remove gloves and wash hands BEFORE entering the lab area.
Both fixed and removable cases require pre-set working days depending on the complexity of the case. Rushing cases may not be possible, so schedule the patient accordingly: (Laboratory time requirements are posted within the AEGD clinic).
Please note that fixed cases that returned to the resident for final die trimming and identification of margins using a red pencil.
University of Maryland is fortunate to have in-house lab technicians who can do minor adjustment procedures; i.e., glazing a crown.
1. A re-make request form must be completed and signed by a full time faculty and the office manager before the case can be sent back to the lab. This is to verify the need for the re-make and to determine the onus of the financial responsibility.
2. It is advised to remake impressions if remaking crown/bridge cases so as to avoid repeating the same error.
3. All items from the first case must be returned to the lab, including the models and rejected restorations.
RESTORATIVE MATERIALS AND
A. Class V
B. Build Ups
Prime + Bond NT
A. In Office
*White Speed JumpStart
B. Home Treatment
Night White Excel 16%
TEMPORARY CROWN MATERIAL
A. Acrylic/Jet Alike
A. Without Bonding
B. With Bonding
Smart Cem II
PORCELAIN OR COMPOSITE VENEERS, INLAYS AND ONLAYS
Smart Cem II