County Clerk (expires 1/2017)…………………………..……………………Shelley Bohl
County Treasurer (expires 1/2017) Annette M Erickson
Register of Deeds (expires 1/2017) Deb Brandt
District Attorney (expires 1/2017) Kevin Croninger
Sheriff (expires 1/2019) Scott Perkins
Clerk of Courts (expires 1/2019) Shirley Chapiewsky
MONROE COUNTY RULES OF COUNTY BOARD The meetings of the Board shall be: the Organizational Meeting on the third Tuesday in April following the spring election, the Annual Meeting on the first Wednesday of November; all other meetings on the fourth Wednesday of each month, unless the date is changed by the Chair or Vice-Chair of the Board.
1. The Board shall be called to order by the Chair at 6:00 p.m. on each day of its meeting, at which time the meeting shall begin with the County Clerk calling roll in numerical order of districts and noting whether a quorum is present; a quorum shall be 60% of the members. If a quorum is present, the business of the Board shall proceed. Should a quorum not be present, the Board shall adjourn until a specified time. In the absence of the Chair, the Vice-Chair shall preside. If both are absent, the Board shall elect a temporary Chair.
2. The order of business shall be as follows: call to order, roll call, Pledge of Allegiance, previous minutes, proclamations, appointments, correspondence, claims, announcements, County Treasurer’s report, reports and/or speakers, resolutions, adjournment.
3. Resolutions received by members with the agenda need not be read. Any member may request that a resolution be read. Late resolutions not mailed with the agenda shall be read. All resolutions shall be approved by the Corporation Counsel.
4. Any resolution or motion involving appropriation of money shall include (or as a fiscal note): 1) the actual or anticipated cost; 2) a statement whether sufficient funds are available in the current budget; 3) a note by the Finance Committee that a provision is made for funding. It shall further be determined that there has been compliance with Wisconsin Statute 65.90 (municipal budgets) and any appropriate County Board resolutions.
5.The County Clerk shall, at least four days before each meeting of the Board (except when the Board is in continuous meeting), mail to each member an itemized agenda containing copies of all resolutions and other matters to be considered by the Board. The agenda shall be prepared by the County Clerk subject to the approval of the Board Chair. All resolutions or other matters to be brought before the Board shall be reported to the County Clerk at least six days prior to the Board meeting in order to be placed on the agenda for consideration. Matters not on the agenda shall be referred to the appropriate committee. The Board may, by a two-thirds vote of those members present, suspend the rules and place on the floor any matter that was previously on a meeting agenda. However, if the matter did not appear on an agenda, no discussion or action shall take place on that matter and the matter shall be referred to the appropriate committee or placed on the agenda for discussion at the next Board meeting.
6. Any person not a member, wanting to address the Board on any matter shall first obtain leave, such leave being requested by a member. In case of objection, such person must have a two-thirds vote of those members present. The Chair, without suspension of the rules, shall be permitted to call upon employees of any department for remarks.
7. Every member, previous to speaking, shall indicate a request to speak electronically or show of hands, at the discretion of the Chair. Priority may be given to electronic requests but the Chair retains discretion in choosing whom to recognize. Upon being recognized by the Chair, a member shall address the Chair and shall not be interrupted except by call to order. No member shall speak more than twice on the same question without leave of the Chair, and a member shall be limited to three minutes for each of their times in addressing the Board. Exempted from this limitation shall be committee chairperson/representative presenting a resolution or answering questions.
8. When a member is called to order, the member shall not proceed to speak, except in explanation, until it is determined whether he/she is in order or not.
9. Roberts Rules of Order shall prevail regarding parliamentary procedure when not in conflict with any rule of the Board.
10. It shall be the duty of all members to vote yes or no, unless the Chair shall excuse a vote for good and sufficient reason before the voting has begun.
11. Every vote upon the levy of a tax or providing an appropriation of money shall be by roll call. All other voting shall be by voice vote, electronic vote, or electronic roll call vote of the majority required, at the discretion of the Chair. Any member may request roll call on any question. All roll call votes shall be electronic unless the Chair rules otherwise. Should the Chair grant an exception to electronic roll call vote, the roll call vote by voice shall be by district numerical order except that the County Clerk shall rotate the order so that the member voting first shall have his/her name called last on the succeeding roll call vote by voice. This sequential rotation shall start with the April Organizational Meeting and continue from meeting to meeting. The Chair shall always vote last.
12. No rule shall be changed, modified, or amended unless it is presented and voted on in resolution form at a regular meeting.
13. Resolution 11-14-02 removed Rule #13
14. Any matter that comes before the Board without a committee recommendation or resolution shall be referred to the appropriate committee by the Chair without motion.
15. The Board Chair, in conjunction with the Vice-Chair, shall select the committee members and the chair of the various committees and boards with the following exception: the Highway Committee shall be elected by the Board at the Organizational Meeting. The committee chairs shall designate a member of the committee as vice-chair. The committee chairs shall select a recorder who shall record and forward a copy of the minutes to the County Clerk and posted on the county website within five business days of the meeting and send an approved copy when approved by the committee. The County Clerk shall keep these minutes on file for five years.
16. The chair of each committee, subcommittee, special committee, standing committee, or board shall have the primary responsibility for complying with Wisconsin Statute Chapter 19, the Open Meeting Law. Each committee chair or designee shall notify the County Clerk how meeting notices are going to be conveyed to the media. Committees shall designate if notification is to be made through the County Clerk’s Office; if not done through the County Clerk’s Office, notices must be properly conveyed.
17. Special Board meetings may be called at the joint request of the Chair and Vice Chair or upon a written request of a majority of the members to the County Clerk, specifying the time and place of the meeting, with four days notice to the members in either instance.
18. All reimbursement claims of members and other individuals eligible for per diem and other expenses shall be made on the expense sheet. Claims will be reviewed and allowed or denied by the Finance Committee. Expense sheets are to be submitted to the County Clerk’s Office no later than the seventh of each month.
Prior approval of the appropriate committee is required for attending conventions, workshops, conferences and training sessions. Approval shall be recorded in committee minutes. The Board Chair is authorized to attend or designate a member or employee to attend special meetings, etc.
Per diem for Board meetings will be paid on a monthly basis. Members who fail to attend some portion of the meeting, unless excused by the Board Chair, shall receive a reduced amount equal to one-half the allowable amount.
If it is recorded in committee minutes that a representative from that committee is to attend a meeting of another committee or a committee-related function, per diem payment shall be allowed. If there is no time to obtain committee approval prior to the other meeting or function, the committee chair shall authorize attendance and it shall be retroactively approved at the next meeting.
If an individual eligible to claim per diem attends two or more meetings on the same date, per diem shall be allowed for each meeting at which the individual is present for roll call and adjournment of each such meeting.
19. All departments shall prepare an annual written report for the Board to include a brief activity report and a financial statement of amount budgeted and expended.
20. The Board Chair and Vice-Chair shall serve as ex-officio members of all committees. The Chair and/or Vice-Chair, as ex-officio members, shall have the power to vote in a committee only in the event that the committee lacks a quorum.
Any member who wishes a particular resolution be brought before the entire Board shall do so by petitioning the appropriate committee, in writing, said petition to bear the signatures of at least five members. If said written petition is presented to the appropriate committee, the committee chair shall direct that a resolution be forwarded to the Board to be considered at the next scheduled meeting. Said resolution shall contain the position and/or request of the petitioning members and shall conform to all other requirements provided for in these Rules.
22. Any individual supervisor may introduce a resolution to a Monroe County Board Committee. That supervisor may draft a resolution, and would then forward that resolution to the Corporation Counsel for review and/or formatting. That resolution shall then be given to the Monroe County Clerk, and subsequently forwarded to the Administrative/Executive Committee for review. After that review, said resolution shall then be forwarded to the appropriate Monroe County Board committee for review and/or action.
COUNTY SUPERVISORS – (Terms expire 2016)
1. Carol A Las………………………………………………………………. 272-3883
6509 Acorn Ave, Sparta, WI 54656
(Towns of Little Falls 1&2, New Lyme, Sparta 3&4)
2. Nodji VanWychen 378-4813
3365 Auger Rd, Warrens, WI 54666
(Towns of Grant, Lincoln, Scott: Village of Warrens)
3. Gene Treu 269-2501 or 487-2501
7234 Harper Avenue, Sparta, WI 54656
(Town of Sparta 2&6, City of Sparta Wards17&18, Village of Rockland ward 2)
4. Cedric Schnitzler 269-5228
7239 Farmland Ave., Sparta,WI 54656
(Towns of Angelo 1, Town of Sparta 1&5, City of Sparta 19 & 20)
5. Gail Chapman. 343-6164
21508 Gladview Avenue, Tomah, WI 54660
(Towns of Greenfield 1, Adrian, Angelo 2, LaFayette 1&2)
6. David Pierce 378-4076
7789 Denver Road, Tomah, WI 54660
(Towns of Greenfield 2, LaGrange 1a, 1b, 2a &2b, City of Tomah Ward 18)
7. Wade Blackdeer 372-5715
27824 Epic Avenue, Tomah, WI 54660
(Towns of Byron, LaGrange 3a & 3b; Village of Wyeville)
8. Rodney Sherwood 344-0755
25786 Hockey Avenue, Tomah WI 54660
(Towns of Tomah 1&2, Wilton 1, City of Tomah Ward 17&19)